Problem with sump+tank system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkoebel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I decided I wanted to start with salt-water aquariums and I found a killer deal, a 200-gallon tank, sump system with skimmer, UV sterilizer, and all the pumps and tubing to make it work. (It came from a pet store that wanted something flashier.)

I got it home and am setting it up. The sump is under the tank itself, inside of the stand. There's only one pump that moves water through the filtration system, and it's the output pump, pushing water from the sump up into the main tank. (There's a pump that motivates the skimmer, and one that pushes water through the UV housing, but those are TINY pumps compared to the main one.)

I have been having a killer time getting water to go from the top tank through the tubing into the sump...I can draw a diagram or something if it helps. It looks like it's supposed to get water via the siphon effect, but it hasn't seemed to work at all. I've poured bucket upon bucket of water into the intake segment trying to get it to work, and it just drains right into the sump, with no suction at all.

Clearly, something isn't right.

I'll attach a diagram in a minute...I need to get on my tablet PC to draw one.

Ideas appreciated, this is really, really frustrating me. (I've it set up exactly the same way it was while fully functional at the previous location, I made sure of that, so I must not have connected something, or it's just disrespecting me.)

Is there a shut-off valve on the pipe that runs from the tank to the sump (the one you are trying to start the siphon in)? It should be at the bottom, near the sump. If so, shut this valve off, then fill the siphon tube with water (as much as possible), then immerse the input of the siphon in your main tank, then open the valve at the bottom. This _should_ start the siphon, assuming that the volume of water in the pipe is more than the volume of air blocking the siphon.

Otherwise, you may need to temporarily hook up a pump, or one of the more experienced members will tell you the right way to prime the sump system.

src said:
Is there a shut-off valve on the pipe that runs from the tank to the sump (the one you are trying to start the siphon in)? It should be at the bottom, near the sump. If so, shut this valve off, then fill the siphon tube with water (as much as possible), then immerse the input of the siphon in your main tank, then open the valve at the bottom. This _should_ start the siphon, assuming that the volume of water in the pipe is more than the volume of air blocking the siphon.

Otherwise, you may need to temporarily hook up a pump, or one of the more experienced members will tell you the right way to prime the sump system.

Thanks, I'll see if there's a valve when I get back on Sunday. The tank has waited a week and a half already due to some electrical problems, it can wait another 2 days to start circulating... (obviously, nothing is in it yet.)

Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom