Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackiecop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I work at a children's museum where we have two, 200 gallon, tanks on an attached system. The entire "system" is makeshift because the budget is very limited so I have no official ID on what make/model the two protein skimmer towers are. The other morning, too much water was added to the tanks and one started to overflow. Ever since our protein skimmers haven't been working, and the tubes are filled with water. Is there any advice on how to correct this issue? We have always had a problem with these skimmers as they are very difficult to get running on a normal day, with the right amount of pressure as the valve placement seems to vary every time we try. They have been off for approximately two days now, is that critically dangerous for the fish in the tanks? Thanks!!

It is safe to leave them off for the time being, you may want to feed a little less though.

Are they in a sump or external?

Are you able to post a photo of the skimmers to show what type they are? There are many types of skimmers and each have there own calibration methods.

RE:

Thanks so much for your advice. I did as you suggested about minimizing the amount of food for the time being and I hope we can get the system up and running as soon as possible. I attached a few photos of the skimmers for you.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 61
those skimmers don't look "budget" at all. what do you mean they haven't been working? the pumps that run those skimmers pull air from somewhere, and mix that with water. if the reaction chambers of the skimmers has nothing but water in them, the pumps are most likely not working at all, malfunctioning and need servicing, or the air supply is blocked.

once you figure this problem out you should implement an automatic top off so that the water level is always at a constant.

Back
Top Bottom