removing undergravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it seems apparent that in order to have a descent planted tank, I will need to remove my undergravel filter from my 10 gallon tanks.

Can anyone recommend a way to do this without taking the fish out and doing a major overhall?

Also, with the undergravel removed, will I have to put a box filter or an outside filter on the tanks or will 2 sponge filters work to keep the tank clean?

I have 3 swords, 5 neon tetras, 7 cory cats and a betta in the 10 gallon tank. Plants include wysteria, java fern, java moss and i think anacharis but it was called hornwort in my local pet store.

I was also thinking about a simple CO2 injector but will I need it in such a small tank with so many fish?

Last but not least, when I syphon the tank gravel, how much do I have to worry abot getting close to the plants to clean the area or can I just clean the open areas of the tank and not have any problems?

This is definately not what I remember doing raising fish in the past. Have a lot to learn from what I "USED to know."

Well, removing an undergravel filter IS a major overhaul, unfortunately. However, with the plants you have you don't really need to worry too much about your substrate, as they will take nutrients from the water column. The wisteria and anacharis/hornwort can be planted but they can also be floating, and I have these plants shoved behind objects without really planting them, though they are not truly floating.

If you want, you could use pots to plant the plants and leave your UGF, unless you want to upgrade lighting and try your hand at some more challenging small plants. That would be the only time you would really "need" CO2, but you can use Flourish Excel right now to add carbon to the tank, as it is pretty easy to dose in smaller tanks like a 10.

When it comes to gravel vac'ing, I wave the hose around in the direction of the plant and collect any loose debris that is on the leaves and such, but I do not actually dig into the gravel. I do gravel vac in open areas where there are no roots (what little of that I have :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom