Replacement RO/DI filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i have the 100 gpd ebay RO/DI for $65. I want to replace the filters on it but want to know which ones i need. I know a lot of people have this system...so someone please point me in the right direction

Mornin'! If you can post a link to the system, I can recommend which filters to get. I looked on eBay as I haven't seen the system referenced for awhile, and I can't find it.

Hold on you will need replacement resin too for the DI stage though. Let me see if I can find that.

0ppm Non Transparent ion Ro Di Replacement Filter QDI | eBay

Here it is.

So, with these 2 links, you will have replacement sediment and carbon blocks, and replacement resin - plus an extra replacement for the carbon block filter.

For TDS meter, BRS sells an in line one that has murlok fittings. Looks like it would work on your system? Definitely need one as this is how you can tell when it is time to replace the filters. I recommend testing both TDS on out of the membrane and out of the DI resin.
Dual Inline TDS Meter DM-1 - HM Digital - Bulk Reef Supply

fort384 said:
0ppm Non Transparent ion Ro Di Replacement Filter QDI | eBay

Here it is.

So, with these 2 links, you will have replacement sediment and carbon blocks, and replacement resin - plus an extra replacement for the carbon block filter.

For TDS meter, BRS sells an in line one that has murlok fittings. Looks like it would work on your system? Definitely need one as this is how you can tell when it is time to replace the filters. I recommend testing both TDS on out of the membrane and out of the DI resin.
Dual Inline TDS Meter DM-1 - HM Digital - Bulk Reef Supply

Cool thanks for all the help Fort. While im ordering at BRS, i'll probably also get some carbon/chemipure to help out with the algae in the tank. What do you recommend/run? I need somthing in bags as i dont have a reactor.

I use rox .8 but I run a reactor. For bags the bituminous is probably a better (and cheaper!) option.

You should look at their carbon reactors though. They are great and not too expensive. You could run it with gfo to reduce po4 to help with algae.

fort384 said:
I use rox .8 but I run a reactor. For bags the bituminous is probably a better (and cheaper!) option.

You should look at their carbon reactors though. They are great and not too expensive.

Cool, ill look into the bituminous

I definitly will buy some reactors in the future. But space is limited and i need a sump first ;)

fort384 said:
BRS Bulk Large Particle Lignite Aquarium Carbon - Bulk Reef Supply

Also, a good comparison video between the different grades:

Aquarium Carbon Demo - Bulk Reef Supply

While bituminous doesn't perform as well as some of the higher grades, I think running Rox 0.8 would be tough in a bag because the particle size is so small, and I think the lignite would turn to dust in that environment (based on my experience with lignite through my work).

Okay great. Yeah it doesnt hve to be really high quality, my algae problem isnt that bad. But the carbon will help with that anyways right?

I am not so sure running carbon will help that. It is more about polishing the water than reducing organic nutrients. Do you know your PO4 level?

fort384 said:
I am not so sure running carbon will help that. It is more about polishing the water than reducing organic nutrients. Do you know your PO4 level?

Hmm darn. What can i run that will help then? No not sure of my Po4. I'll have to get one of those at BRS too

Well you can run gfo in a bag to reduce phosphate. That and nitrate are the biggest nutrient contributors to nuisance algae.

fort384 said:
Well you can run gfo in a bag to reduce phosphate. That and nitrate are the biggest nutrient contributors to nuisance algae.

Okay well thats good! My trates are and always have been low so its definitly the phosphates then. Okay, i'll look for some GFO and carbon. This sounds good!

I would test PO4 first just so you know. Low trates does not necessarily mean you don't have nitrate issues either - the algae could just be using it all up so it tests low.

fort384 said:
I would test PO4 first just so you know. Low trates does not necessarily mean you don't have nitrate issues either - the algae could just be using it all up so it tests low.

Okay cool i'll find out. And how does a reactor work exactly? Can i setup a phosphate and carbon dual reactor without a sump? They seem cheap and easy to grt going i just have never known what they do

You just need A pump to circulate the water. It could conceivably go into the DT.

Back
Top Bottom