replacing bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i've had my aquarium set up for 1 year + , i've had the same bulbs in MH bulbs in place. i know i should switch them out in a year but they still look great. can anyone tell me the reason for switching out bulbs and what will happen if i don't.

second part. the cheapest i could find a 400w 20 k bulb was from our pal darin at captive reefs for $63 anyone find them cheaper?

thanks for everything

mark

The main reason is that your naked eye cannot notice the bulb getting weaker, especially when you see your tank everyday, but your corals sure will. When you change out the bulbs, you will be amazed at the noticeable difference.

Its not only the intensity that drops but also there is a usual color specitrum shift.

will it make algea grow more. since the spectrum is dropping? it would make sense because it grows like crazy.

i am looking for mogul. XM if possible.

thanks

mark

Most people will notice they have not changed their lights in a long time when they start to grow cyanobacteria. The spectrum changes can cause major issues with algae growth in a saltwater tank. Most major tank keepers will recommend changing lights every six to eight months.

For economy sake, I have one 14k on the left and a 10k on the right of my 55 gallon (stop laughing). I noticed the 14k side has far less bad algae and far more coraline growth than the 10k side. The 10k side still supports a little hair algae and has far less coraline.

I'm sticking with 14k bulbs. Just my experience.

so what is the life for halides and power compact bulbs?

I have the outerorbit hood with 2 halides and 2 48 inch blue power compacts.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom