Return pump size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Txcachem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a 20 gal long sump. The section were I have the return pump is not large. We copies sump from our LFS. I currently have a rio 1100 in it but I don't think It is enough. The tank water looks and test fine but the water in the refugium part of the tank looks very stagnate and is barely moving. There is water returning to the tank. Any advise is welcome. Thanks.

that is a bit on the weak side. after head loss you might be getting about 150gph in the display.
i'd probably go with something around 1000gph.

It may sound extreme but you could buy a lot of space by moving/removing the three baffles. You really only need two and they have more than enough space between them. You could definitely get more space by changing that.

I fit a Rio 2100 and a Rio 2500 in the pump section in my ten gallon sump on my 45.

You can try adding a second pump and/or upgrading the one you have now, but long term I think you would be happier if you changed the baffles.

Ok. I do have a sicce syncra silent 3.0 1100gph that we got from a friend. I had forgotten about it. We installed it and it is pushing a lot more water. Our overflow is a HOB tidepool silent and after installing the new pump it is no longer silent. The only way I can get it to stop gurgling is to remove the control tube piece. Is it ok to do that?

The other pump fit in the space but I just didn't know if that holds enough volume. What is the easiest way to remove the baffles. We silicones them in on ever side. I was silicone happy!!!

Double check the flow rate for that HOB overflow. I had an Eshopps on my reef but did make some mods to make ir even better. With the extra flow you may just need to upgrade your overflow.

Back
Top Bottom