RO/DI selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I do about 30g a week PWC. for my 90g fowler and QT. Currently I'm getting water from some RO kiosk.
I'd like to get my own system but have a few ?'s
How do they hook up to a water source? Do they mount permanently?
Do they need to run all the time or can I make my water and shut them off.

It's not a permanent hookup. If your sink where you get the water from has a threaded spigot, you can get plumbing attachments to just screw your unit in when time to make water. My unit was attached to the wall, with my yellow water line just hanging there waiting for me to attach to the spigot. The yellow was the input water. Red for waste (you'll likely discard 1 to 1.5 gallons for every clean gallon you make), and blue line into the filtered water receptacle. I used 2 trash cans. One for the blue line/filtered water, and another for the redline/waste water, which in turn was used in my washing machine.

Describe the sink you'll be getting the water from.

Describe the sink you'll be getting the water from.
I'm thinking either a laundry sink area in my basement or a vehicle washing station at my work. The tank is at my work.

Is the waste water really concentrated with stuff? Could it be used for watering plants, etc.?

I think it's ok for plants. Never did use it for them, but I think I've heard of folks using it for plants.

The things you'll be concerned about are 1) overflowing the receptacle for either the filtered or waste water. Both have happened to me. Some employ a float switch for that. And 2) moving the water from the RO/Di to the tank. I had wheels on a brand new rubbermaid 44g can.

Back
Top Bottom