Skimmer Poll.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at a 140 g with a refugium on bottom. The skimmer will go on bottom. Is there a good skimmer out there that doesn't have to be emptied every day?

Sure there is; the one that doesn't work. The whole idea is to remove the protein compounds. Why would you want a skimmer that doesn't skim??

Scat, with most any skimmers out there, the cup is rather large, only needing to be emptied every few days. Regardless, they can be modified by the manufacturer to include a drain nozzle in the bottom of the collection cup so teh waste can go into a separate container specifically designed to hold skimmer waste (*cough milkjug cough*) :D

Problem solved. It'll take weeks to fill up a gallon. HTH.

ETSS skimmer have the ablitity to dump into a extrenal container...I have one that overflows to a gal jug and I clean it ever week or so....
from my understanding the downdraft skimmer style skimmer is the most effective for the size skimmer....but thats just what i read from reseach

Sound like a good plan I may see if I can plumb mine to go outside and never have to worry about emptying it.

Even though you dont need to empty the cup... you will still want to clean the collection cup and spout...so it works efficently. Everytime i empty my cup i clean it also. HTH

Make sure you have a continuous drop on the drain line. You do not want that nasty stuff sitting around. I also have a T with a ball valve on it and use the same drain when I do water changes. Just turn the drain pump on then put in the new water. This also cleans the skimmer waste from the drain line.

I agree you'll want to clean it anyway. I only dump and clean my collection cup maybe once every two weeks. It's really not that much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom