Sump on non drilled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

standridge32

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my husband installed a Sump with an over flow box on our tank which is not drilled. Everything worked fine for a while then the water in our tank is getting way to high. Almost over flowed twice. He has worked very hard on this and just does know what is wrong. Any ideas?

Sounds like your return pump is pumping into the tank faster then the overflow can send it to the sump...It is a trial and error thing to get it perfect..
Also,how are you topping off?? You need to do top offs in the sump ,not your tank..

So we need a different pump or change the ammount of flow were getting? And we topped off the tank. So drain the tank to normal levels and as needed add to the Sump?

We have decent flow untold the over flow box starts to make a gurgling sound like its catching air flow somewhere and it decreases just long enough the water rises a little and it happens enough times it overflows the tank.

Yes ,always top off the sump...just keep an eye on its levels from now on,,not your tank...
How much GPH is your return pump...So many things come into play when trying to match the in from the overflow to the out of the return pump..
How much GPH from your box,how much GPH your pump is, how much headloss ,and,how many and what size drains you have on the overflow box..
You should also have a ball valve installed on your return line

Depends.... If your overflow is rated 600 gph you should get a pump rated about 725 gph.

You can also install a ball valve after your return pump to regulate the water flow going back into your tank if your pump is indeed pumping more than oyur overflow can handle. I have one on my system as my returnpump is at 1532 and my overflow is only at 1200.

Well my pump is pumping too fast right now is my problem is what yall are saying? Or I need to get a bigger over flow box? I'm pretty sire the pump is rated 600 gph I'm not sure on the box my husband prob knows.

If its; the pump pumping too much then a ball valve is a nice cheap solution, less than $10 at home depot.

If you wanted to you could buy a new overflow or pump but then youre looking at more money for sure.

Get the stats on both or the brand and model and we can go from there.

I think he fixed it. He said it was getting too much air flow and found a different plug for the valve on the over flow box. It's working for now. No problems but if it messes up this time careys plan goes in affect

I think he fixed it. He said it was getting too much air flow and found a different plug for the valve on the over flow box. It's working for now. No problems but if it messes up this time careys plan goes in affect

Oh No!!!!! If you put Carey's plan in to place you will end up with 15 tanks throughout your whole house. :) Just kidding. Her advice is spot on. Even if it is working good I would recommend you install the valve. Can never have too many valves. It is a lot easier to turn a valve off in an emergency then to try and find the right cord to unplug to shut the pump down.

Back
Top Bottom