Tank Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to find a stand for my new 10G nano, and I've found this one that I quite like:-

tl-450-stand.gif

This is meant for a tank slightly wider, and quite a bit deeper (front to back) than mine, so I'll be hoping to cut down the top piece a bit - trimming a tiny bit off the left/right sides, and then a few inches off the front/back sides. My tank will be less heavy than the tank it's designed for though, as mine's 35L as opposed to 45L. Mine is also a good bit shallower.

Does anyone think modifying this stand in this way will cause any stability problems?

As long as you are not cutting the bottom or the support, you should be ok. Personally, I think I would like the lip, this will give more surface area in the event the tank/stand were to be bumped.

Cheers for the move. I might see how it looks with the base too big for the tank, but ideally I'd like

Think I'll get it assembled and see what it looks like with the tank on it...the downside of cutting would also be the fact that the edges wouldn't be properly finished anymore. But then again, if I do leave the lip, the front edge is rounded, and my tank is straight, so that might look a bit odd...

Is the back finished? If so take the top off, cut the rounded front off to fit your size and then cut a section out of the middle (centered front to back). Spin the whole top around, then redrill your pilot holes with the two pieces sucked back together and "vwala" one custom top with only a small slit on the front.

spittinfly said:
Is the back finished? If so take the top off, cut the rounded front off to fit your size and then cut a section out of the middle (centered front to back). Spin the whole top around, then redrill your pilot holes with the two pieces sucked back together and "vwala" one custom top with only a small slit on the front.

Good idea! Yes the back's finished.

Or easier still - cut the rounded front off so there's the same amount left either side of the holes (as you can see, the holes are further towards the back of the base, as it comes), then just spin round as you suggest so that I then have a straight/finished front edge. Might lightly sand the edges to round them a tiny bit.

I'll see if cutting down just the front will be enough...but I've a feeling that I'll have to cut the back down as well to make it even shorter (meaning I'd lose BOTH finished edges)...

I think if you can cut the front off, spin it around and re-drill the holes to center the tank on the stand with even spacing left to right as front to back that you could get away with still having 3 good sides and it should be a pretty sharp stand. Good luck and post some pics.

Back
Top Bottom