The Choose a Light for me Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please if you can suggest some lights with the following (wants) :)

Mandatory
4+ bulbs
Individual Reflectors
24-30 inch-my tank is 29 inches, please advise!
Preferably a reputable company

Additional Plus'

Moonlights
Separate Power supplies for Timers / or Built in Timer
Built in Fan

Can anybody give me some suggestions for something that would fall into these categories? I am budgeting to spend about $200-2xx so thank you friends!

I have 5 of these... for the money, you can't beat them IMO.

30in 4Bulbs fixtures

They have individual reflectors, remote ballasts, and you can get a hanging kit if you want. They also come with bulbs, which a lot of fixtures don't it seems.

I've seen those before, it was Carey suggesting them. What exactly is a external ballast and what does it do in terms of being external :p Also is there a fan in that?

If its a good solid light then I have no problem saving $100 but what is the difference in those from say equally low cost lights like odyssea? (spellcheck)
Thank you for taking the time to answer :D

edit: I also noticed that you are in freshwater tanks, I wanted to keep my options open for saltwater corals. I hope that doesnt change anything

francis said:
I've seen those before, it was Carey suggesting them. What exactly is a external ballast and what does it do in terms of being external :p Also is there a fan in that?

If its a good solid light then I have no problem saving $100 but what is the difference in those from say equally low cost lights like odyssea? (spellcheck)
Thank you for taking the time to answer :D

edit: I also noticed that you are in freshwater tanks, I wanted to keep my options open for saltwater corals. I hope that doesnt change anything

Well, I've not read any reviews about fishneedit lights burning down houses... Odyssea fixtures used to be crap... I've read that they upped their game lately, but I won't ever own one.

As far as fw vs sw, it doest change anything... A 4x24w t5ho is a 4x24w t5ho, the bulb choices would be the only difference

I have 36" 4 bulb T5 HO fixtures for sale... brand new. $130 + shipping. You would have to decide if 36" is too long for your tank. I just put a 36" on my tank (that is 32.5" long) and it looks OK. The end couple of inches are the end caps and don't really light up anyway (so you are not really "lighting the wall"). I went for the 36" (rather than a 30") because it was more of a standard size and would put more light in my tank. I think a 24" would have been too small for my tank... Really up to you... You could always buy a fixture locally, try it on for size and return it...

Actually if it is aT5 or T5HO then most 30 inch fixtures have 30 inch bulbs. I guess they decided that T5 was being used mostly for aquariums so they decided to make the bulb length the same as most popular aquarium sizes.

That's not the case for my 3 30" fixtures... both nova extremes and fishneedit fixtures... all have 24" bulbs. I'm sure there are SOME... but the majority are 24"

Yep, my 30" takes a 24" bulb as well. :) I just like that the hood covers the tank from end to end instead of there being dead space.

Mmmm I see that is very interesting. I was staying away from the 30 inches because I thought I would be restricted to buy the bulbs from the light manufacturer. If thats the case I am just paying for extra hood coverage?

If nobody wants to pick a light then someone just reassure me that if I pick any of those listed I can't go wrong :) thank you

Aquarium t5 lights come in 9, 18, 24, 48, and 54 inches. Only the 24 inch and above come in other varities beside 6700, 10000 and actinic. There are a few other sizes but they are not common. So, if you get a 60 inch fixture, it still uses 54 inch lights. Also, T-5 means the diameter of the light. So you can have a t-5 compact fluorescent light.

Personally, the fixture that rookie suggested, is a great price for 4 24" t-5 fixture.

And what about in terms of quality and reliability? And what about 36" fixtures, those have 36" lightbulbs right?

(Should I just get the 36" Wavepoint Fixture that the one person is selling?)

Would it be a bad idea to get a larger light than my tank? My tank is 29 inches, possibly could get a 36"

I think it is purely cosmetic (and your preference). Are you OK with the look of the fixture overhanging the ends of the tank? I didn't want to do it, but my wife said it looked OK and after a week I am used to it and it looks fine (on my tank). The other thing is you will get more wattage (and I suppose Lumens) from the 36" bulbs, rather than 30" or 24"...

I will try to post a pic of my tank later.

Me, I'd stick to the size of my tank. Not smaller and not bigger. BUT I'm an odd person and it would bother me LOL. You may be fine with it hanging over, it's kinda up to you. Youre getting the same light amt on the 24" or the 30" so it's just the extra $$ for it to fit exactly.

Thanks luky that would be awesome! SADLY I AM CONSIDERING LEDS OMG. Do I need to buy a chiller? If I do I'm thinking I could get decent LED's for $300 and just go that route. What does everyone think?

AGAIN I'M SORRY FOR POSTING SO MANY DARN LIGHT THREADS D;

I don't even know how to choose LED's either in terms of watts or par or whatever :/

picture of what i work so hard for!

Attachments

• 8036935405075_ORIG.jpg
    8036935405075_ORIG.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 75
The 36" fixture would be fine... plus, if you ever upgrade tanks, if it's 36", you won't have to buy a new fixture. It'll look a bit off, but really, it doesn't matter. I've used 36" fixtures on 30" tanks in the past. Now I have all the appropriate sized fixtures. It's all about preferecne.

Back
Top Bottom