Easily distinguishable moss! Advice & help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenGo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Some of you might be familiar with my Panther Crab Breeding Project in the breeding section, but don't worry if you're not.

Thing is, I'm considering implementing multiple types of moss into separate moss walls to serve as a catalog system which can also serve to trace the genealogy of certain inverts and fish I hope to breed.

An example of the catalog genealogy system would be this:
Moss wall 1, top level middle* (males will be in the middle, so we'll know this individual is a male in this example), java moss
*I'm planning three tanks per level with three levels total, though this may change

Moss wall 2, top level right**, Christmas moss
**females will be on either side of the males probably, just to make less transport time when I set them up on their blind dates (hehe)

Event: *java moss* crab breeds with *Christmas moss* crab (whilst ignoring the other seven crabs in this example). When *Christmas* female releases the crablets, put in separate rearing containers and take a sample of the *java* and *Christmas moss* walls to show genealogy.

How many different mosses are available in the hobby that are fairly easy to identify based on their growth patterns, visible characteristics, etc, so I'm not spending an hour trying to figure out which moss I'm looking at? I'd like to figure out the limitations of my idea as far as how many different aquariums I can set up per animal I'll breed, so I'd appreciate some input from some of you experts.

Also, if you could provide some basic details for each moss it'd be appreciated, but it's not required (I could always do my own research...).

Details I could use (moss name is a given)
(1) Minimum lighting required/recommended? High / med / low
(2) Growth at above lighting condition? Fast / slow / somewhere between
*I know if a moss requires low light and I provide med it'll normally grow faster (as long as the light is the limiting factor), but just give me an idea of what to expect if you could.

These aquariums will have 5000K (daylight) LED t8 bulbs (~1000 lumens)* with no CO2, but I can always DIY a CO2 setup if I have to. Most aquariums will be 10 gal about half full of water (so about 6 inches, roughly 5 gal of water volume total), but I'll adjust as needed for any bigger tanks in the future. Please note: I want this to be as low tech as possible.
*Unfortunately I can't find any spectrum info, but here's the website I plan to purchase from: https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/2-foot-t8-led-tubes/ I don't exactly know what they mean by "stark white" (I'm assuming it's just another name for "daylight" which is labeled as 5000K in Home Depot lighting which I've considered, but this is much cheaper). Could this pose a problem? Will these even work?

:thanks: for any advice and information you can give me!

I know fontinalis species, taxiphylum, and fissidens are pretty easily distinguished between each other. Amblystegium serpens is easy to differentiate based on growth patterns. That's all the moss genera I know of.

In all honesty, I don't think what you're trying to do is feasible though. It would be quite difficult to differentiate, and what if one of the mosses dies? You'd be best off just labeling them.

I know fontinalis species, taxiphylum, and fissidens are pretty easily distinguished between each other. Amblystegium serpens is easy to differentiate based on growth patterns. That's all the moss genera I know of.

In all honesty, I don't think what you're trying to do is feasible though. It would be quite difficult to differentiate, and what if one of the mosses dies? You'd be best off just labeling them.

Thank you for the info. I think you're right, and after I've given it some thought, I'll probably modify my idea by using a word doc or similar and a numbering system.

Ex.
Tank 1. Christmas moss, female, upper left
Tank 2. Java moss, male, upper middle
*I'll have a three digit number on every aquarium that'll correspond to a number on the doc

This way I won't need to spend hours trying to identify them, and if they die I can still know what used to be in the tank. I just really like the idea of tracing the genealogy, and I think my customers may enjoy it.

Honestly, I was thinking no one would reply. :lol:

Does anyone know of a "master" list of mosses available in the hobby? If not, I may go ahead and create one as I do my research.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom