Whats going on with my temp sensor for chiller???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWhoTruong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my coralife digital thermometer usually outputs between 2-5 degrees lower than my temperature controller on my chiller, and today the chiller displayed 4 degrees lower than the digital thermometers? whats going on? i think its maybe the sensor itself on the temp controller, and are those digital thermometers as accurate as they say?? so whats the malfunction, the digital thermometer or the sensor on the temp controller?

chiller info, i got it used for $200 1/4hp universal marine, and also came with a external medusa temp controller,
i know the chiller works great 150gallon system and when first installed dropped the temp from 86f to 77f in less than and hour.
nice deal eh? hope so =P, I hear controllers run about $150, so hope i dont gotta buy another, its gonna cost more than the chiller!

Try cleaning the probes. Buildup on them can distort your readings.
Is there any kind of recalibration system?

Try a cheap simple thermometer, a third opinion so to speak. Also change the battery on the digital. Mine tends to get wacky when the battery gets low.

hehe yea, tried a third and it speaks with the digital, im thinking the controllers probe? or could it be even the whole controller?

Hard to say, does the manual have a troubleshoot section?
If you are getting consistant reading with the thermometer, I would tend to believe them.

If your temp. controller is a Medusa, then it does have a calibration feature. If you go into programing it will display first the temperature you want to set the chiller to. If you press the button again, it will display the units you wish to use, if you press again the button, you will see a CU in the display wich is the calibration feature. PLease tell me if this happens in your temp controller and if it does I can explain further how to calibrate your probe...
HTH

Back
Top Bottom