Yet Another SeaClone Skimmer Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyPickles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of getting my 75g salt water started. I was given a Sea Reef wet/dry sump for free from someone that was getting out of the hobby. I am working through modding it to have some tumbling chaeto instead of using BB (I'm aware that's a whole other topic), and now planning for the return section.

I have heard both good and bad things about the SeaClone 100 protein skimmer, but I decided to give it a shot. It was on sale at my LFS from $129 to $57. I also had a 15% off coupon so I got it for a great price whether it ends up working or not.

One of the main reasons I purchased it was because it can be used as HOB or in sump. I almost want to use it for both at the same time to save space and would love some advice before I go hacking things up.

The return section of the sump is rather small. Way too small for me to fit my return pump and the skimmer comfortably sitting on the sump bottom. While using it as HOB, I'd like to elongate the pump side of the j-tube so my water level doesn't have to be almost to the top in the sump. Obviously I would need extra space for water to collect when the return pump is turned off.

This is how it sits IMG_3872.jpg
IMG_3873.jpg

As you can see, there is plenty of room in the sump for my pumps and equipment, but the skimmer's pump is simply way too high. I'd like to cut the tube and slide some clear flex tubing in its place so the pump is almost sitting on the floor of the sump while the skimmer is still hanging on the side.

I would have to get a longer air hose as well, but my concern is that I will destroy the pumps ability to skim properly (if it even does to begin with)

I'm wondering if maybe it will help in a way that it will cut down on possible microbubbles in the sump as many people report. Due to the longer tubing from the pump, I don't want to hurt the performance with air going into the skimmer and pushing sludge up it.

I understand there are far better skimmers out there. I am on a slight budget and will get another skimmer at some point in the future, I do know that. I just could not pass up on the opportunity due to the price and feel like trying. If the thing doesn't work then hey I tried.

I appreciate all and any thoughts. Merry Christmas!!

Take the tube off the skimmer and plug the pump directly into the body of the skimmer so it can be in the sump itself if you aren't able to get it in HOB form to work correctly. I wouldn't put it in the return section and would want to have it in the intake section if able. This would also provide a stable water level and prevent overheating if the water level were to drop.
If none of those work, just HOB it on the back of the display tank until you can find a better solution.
Good luck, I was never able to get the seaclone that I got when I first entered the hobby to work correctly.

When I get home I'll take a photo of the intake section. Im not sure it would have enough room.

I've been trying all different configurations HOB and in the sump. While in the sump I fear there wont be enough room for all the pumps and the skimmer itself. I don't have the return pump just yet but am I at more if a risk for microbubbles having two pumps too close or almost touching?

Although I'd like to not have to, if it doesn't work I'll just HOB in the display.

I've heard very conflicting reviews about it. Some say it works great and others say it will never work even after modding the heck out of it. I guess we'll see!

I wouldn't be worried about microbubbles from pumps touching. The only thing that will come of that would be noise from as they vibrate against each other.
This will simply turn into measuring and ensuring everything is what you want it to be. I would never personally put a skimmer in the return section, you want it in the intake section to pull as much out of the water column before any other filtration methods as humanly possible and you don't want the water level going down on a skimmer's pump as it will affect performance and can shorten its life span.
A return pump can be a different story due to using a ball valve after the pump to adjust flow and such.

You bring up some great points.. I think I might just keep things simple and put it in the DT for now. I still have to get everything cycled so I have a while to save for a better skimmer. Nice discussion, thanks

Honestly hob skimmers just aren't great overall. I'd definitely save for a nice in sump skimmer especially since you have a sump.

Back
Top Bottom