My 75Gal Planted Discus Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll try to remember to take some tonight and post. Problem is, with "low" light even at a a high ISO, still comes out blurry, on tripod! They need anti glare coating for fishtanks. :) *patents*

Also, looking for good low-medium light foreground plant. Woudl glosso grow in my tank? (56watt T5, 75 gallon tank)

Are you talking like a carpet type plant? I have heard that marsilea hirsuta does well in low light. I have no experience with it, just passing along what I have read from others (also seems to be hard to find).

If you are looking for just low plants (not carpet type) than Dwarf Sagittaria - Sagittaria subulata might be worth a shot

Ok I'm starting in discus and I went to "simply discus" its a forum that does nothing but discus I always suggest going there and doing research on discus they got it down pat and they also have good quality discus got 6 from a guy named roundfishross they are looking vary nice if ur discus are going to be smaller (anything under 6") I would suggest a bb tank because they take alot of food a day and alot of water changes until there adults I'm doing a 20-25% a DAY pwc on my discus tank and trying to feed 4-6 times a day and there is always left over food that needs to be cleaned they will reach a 6-8 inch in about 8 months

Ps u need to set ur 300w heater at 84 because discus live in warmer water anything below 82 and the discus will die and don't let it go above 86
And I feed my discus ocean nutrition reef flakes they got the most protein at 52% and are safe for fresh water. Add all discus at once

Hey, thanks for the recommendation!

I have it only to 81 degrees now because its a better temperature to grow out the juvy Cardinal Tetra's. I will slowly raise it to 83-84 *f before I add the discus (maybe a degree every 2 weeks)

I'm not going to feed the discus just flakes. I will feed Flakes first for the cardinals, Then feed discus pellets and some frozen bloodworm. Also looking at a blended recipe if I can make it easy enough the girlfriend can do it when I'm not home.

Pictures will come soon! On a good note, I bought a polarizing filter for my camera, should be in in 2 weeks - Hopefully reducing the glare from the windows!!!

How big are ur discus going to be beings u are doing gravel and plants I suggest getting adults because growing out baby's and feeding them 4-6 times a day is not going to make the daily water changes fun at all and trust me baby's are messy and u will want to do wc everyday if u get baby's and they will be fighting with the cardinals for food which means u might have to over feed so they get enough nutrition but if there adults there not as bad

So heres a more recent picture (5 minutes ago! lol) - Some plant growth from the java Ferns, Just a TINY bit of brown algae on the back. Cardinals growing out nicely.

Also have to re-apply background as two wrinkles show now (guess the oil hid them until it drained out!)

When the Hygro starts growing out, I'll break it off and cover most of the right side background with it.

Regarding growing out the Discus - I'm not going to be breeding them. I do want them to be healthy, but getting them Big, Fast is not my priority. I will be buying 2.5-3 inch discus due to pricepoint/hardiness. I will feed twice daily, and do 25% water changes. The plants will help with nitrates, and vacumming the open area's will be enough to keep a good environment. It's a show tank, not a grow-and-breed tank.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 515
sudz said:
So heres a more recent picture (5 minutes ago! lol) - Some plant growth from the java Ferns, Just a TINY bit of brown algae on the back. Cardinals growing out nicely.

Also have to re-apply background as two wrinkles show now (guess the oil hid them until it drained out!)

When the Hygro starts growing out, I'll break it off and cover most of the right side background with it.

Regarding growing out the Discus - I'm not going to be breeding them. I do want them to be healthy, but getting them Big, Fast is not my priority. I will be buying 2.5-3 inch discus due to pricepoint/hardiness. I will feed twice daily, and do 25% water changes. The plants will help with nitrates, and vacumming the open area's will be enough to keep a good environment. It's a show tank, not a grow-and-breed tank.

Love it!! The substrate is way cool looking and I love the DW

Alright all...

Sad times - I'm selling my 44 gallon. Thankfully, exception of a CAE, the fish are discus safe and i've moved them to the 75 gallon. Also transplanted plants and clipped the current stuff. Hopefully it'll look nice when it fills out!

I grabbed the 96 watt 18 inch fixture from the 44 gallon. Made it look a bit better. I need to upgrade to T5HO. THinking 4X54, plus CO2.

please ignore the algae...

img_1487677_0_6abfb1d4524b8fdc8aa53059dc046f4c.jpg

img_1487677_1_369418d96ba8d0652b6a5764cd58d4bb.jpg

img_1487677_2_ae5af396d3b6afe9092a6975725c48bd.jpg

Sold my 44 gallon setup - For what I feel is too cheap, but wasn't getting any action at 200 bucks. Sold for 175.

Local light distributor has agreed to sell to me directly outside of e-bay. 150 cash for a 4 Bulb, 48inch T5HO including any 4 bulbs. Thinking 3 X 6700k and one 10K bulb. I don't do CO2 (yet) so I'll just run two for now. 204 watts for a 75 gallon without CO2 is a bit much... 108 watts will grow the plants I have quite nicely, and as I grow into CO2.. the other two bulbs can come on. :) Good plan?

somewhere around 2 inches. Juvies. I'm worried as my PH is high, so I figure if I get them young, it'll be easier for them to adapt?

Back
Top Bottom