My new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boogety48 said:
I got my fish and plants today. I haven't added the plants yet because I have them in another tank that way if they have any snails or other passengers hopefully they'll come off in it rather than my tank. I'll post pictures when I get it all set up. I got a java fern (one was all they had), some anacharis, moneywort, some amazon sword, and a moss ball. I got ghost shrimp, teras to replace the ones I lost so no I have a school again, and cories to replace the ones I lost so I have a school of three again.

Smart choice doing that, we ended up with a bunch of common snails, but our little clown loaches ate them up

Mumma.of.two said:
All stem plants can be trimmed, at any time, and replanted. Java ferns will grow baby plants on their leaves. You can pluck them off when they have a 2-3 leaves and attach elsewhere. You can also cut the rhizome in half (leaving at least 2-3 leaves on each) to create two plants.

So glad to know this! Better yet I can do some trimming and fill up some spaces that there is in our tank

Mmm I see, any interesting happenings in your tank lately?

The only thing interesting that's happened so far is one of my new tetras disappeared the day after I bought them. My husband and I have looked everywhere for it and can't even find its body(if it's died). I ran my fingers through the plants turned up all the caves, even looked in the filter. I checked out the floor around the tank and nothing. I don't have any predators in the tank and I don't think the snails and shrimp could have eaten the body that fast. Everyday I check to see if its floating or even in there and still haven't found it.

Boogety,

Now that is a cool display size ...very nice. No telling what weather temp extreemes that attice saw ...be sure to fill it full with hose water somewhere safe (read: not in an electronics store) and let her sit overnight to check that the silicone is still has good bond strength.

Then, let'er rip! And have fun!

RM

Boogety,

Now that is a cool display size ...very nice. No telling what weather temp extreemes that attice saw ...be sure to fill it full with hose water somewhere safe (read: not in an electronics store) and let her sit overnight to check that the silicone is still has good bond strength.

Then, let'er rip! And have fun!

RM

I was so paranoid when I first got the tank from my brother. I filled it and let it sit in the bath tub overnight and then let it dry and then did it a few days later again. So far so good its been holding water and I haven't had any problems with it except I can't find a hood to fit it. My husband made me one with mesh after we had a snail fall out and die.

That's so horrible! The snail just fell out. I think you should try soaking the shriveled thing in water before you toss it, I read somewhere that a girls snail fell out of the tank and shriveled up and then she soaked it then it came back to life!

That's so horrible! The snail just fell out. I think you should try soaking the shriveled thing in water before you toss it, I read somewhere that a girls snail fell out of the tank and shriveled up and then she soaked it then it came back to life!

It stayed alive for two days. If the cracks aren't to bad you can super glue egg shell or sea shells to it and it'll fix the parts on the inside. You can't get the super glue on the actual snail though and it was so cracked the snail body was poking through the cracks so I couldn't fix it. It was moving around and eating but my husband came in and it was covered in fuzz. He poked it and it wouldn't move and when he pulled it out, it smelled horrible. He tossed it out for me. After it fell out my husband made a mesh top and velcro. It's not pretty but it's keeping everyone inside. :lol:

Oh, I just assumed he fell and was completely intact and was just dried out. I bet you could've used silicone on him! Maybe...possibly... Sorry for the misunderstanding!

No problem. I was worried about that too when I first saw it but surprisingly it wasn't dried out at all so I probably found it right after it happened.

Oh I see what you're saying! I never really wanted to keep a snail before though, so I don't know much about them. I might be getting a big tank soon! **excited** ^^

I've been looking at pictures online of moneywort and noticed some pictures showed it coming out of the water and it had flowers on it. Do all types do that or just certain ones? I would love to have that happen to mine.

My anacharis is also growing like crazy. I trimmed a few pieces off to add to a different tank and I've already got some branching off what I first bought. I didn't realize how fast it grows!

That's odd, I've been told that anacharis is a fast growing plant, and I've taken the time to make anchors so they can root, but they wont take root for some reason. I got the plant 8-12 days ago, so am I just being impatient or is there a problem with my tank? (some of the plants bottoms are a brown color, and I was thinking that that's just what happens when anacharis grows roots, but now I'm a bit discouraged on that thought) can you help me since the anacharis growth is so easy to you?

alia258 said:
That's odd, I've been told that anacharis is a fast growing plant, and I've taken the time to make anchors so they can root, but they wont take root for some reason. I got the plant 8-12 days ago, so am I just being impatient or is there a problem with my tank? (some of the plants bottoms are a brown color, and I was thinking that that's just what happens when anacharis grows roots, but now I'm a bit discouraged on that thought) can you help me since the anacharis growth is so easy to you?

Whats the lighting you are using? Any plant supplements?

I use root tabs, and my lighting is kind of an unknown thing

I haven't done anything special to any of my plants. I have a mixture in my substrate of pool filter sand and floramax. I just stuck them in the substrate and they're doing the rest. I had one come out of the substrate and noticed it didn't have roots yet so I know they haven't grown roots. I don't have a hood yet so my lighting is just a stand up lamp without the shade on with a 100w cfl in it.

You shouldn't actually bury the bottom of the stems! You need to use an anchor to keep them above the ground and let them root themselves! Otherwise the whole plant will rot from the bottom up, and it won't ever grow roots! Or, at least, that's what I was told!

You shouldn't actually bury the bottom of the stems! You need to use an anchor to keep them above the ground and let them root themselves! Otherwise the whole plant will rot from the bottom up, and it won't ever grow roots! Or, at least, that's what I was told!

Uh oh. I watched a few videos on youtube of how to do a planted tank and every one that I watched that's what they said to do. To trim off any leaves and make sure the stem was firm and just stick in it the substrate. Now you have me a little worried. They don't seem to be having any trouble yet but I'll keep an eye on them.

If I was you (and I was in your position) I'd just use an anchor to keep them just above the substrate. You can see how I did it on my other thread, 'anacharis' it's the simplest, made up version of planting them, but it worked for me! ^^

Back
Top Bottom