Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice shape on the first Oscar. (y) (y)
I AM an "if it works, keep doing it" kind of guy but will say that if the Oscars or Dempseys pair off, your tank is not big enough for the other fish to get out of the way safely. Just be prepared unless you got all males. (y)

Halito, I personally would not keep 2 Oscars & 2 Jacks in a 75 G. They need growing space.
I have one JD and one orange Tiger Oscar in a 110. They came to me from a previous owner. She had them together for about 5 years in an overcrowded 125 G. More tacky decor than water. Several huge blood red parrots and a big pleco in addition to Jack and Oscar (yes, those are my clever names for this pair.) Oscar is only 8” long and it’s possible the crowded conditions stunted his growth. idk The JD is a bottom dweller & relatively inactive, but oh! So beautiful with his turquoise polka dots.

I have another Oscar, 8” long, also from an overcrowded tank, a 90 G. Again giant flying saucers next to Greek ruins and humongous plastic plants. All kinds of other fish. This Oscar is said to be 8 yrs old. She’s in a 125 G with six Clown Loaches: 4 are ~4”, one is 5 and the largest ~6. Future plans are to get a bigger tank.

These fish and the tanks and some very nice canister filters etc etc were found in local FB groups. FB was never my thing until the owner at Imperial Tropicals suggested I join his group. That led to local groups & all kinds of bargains & specialty groups for individual species I keep. In case you’re unfamiliar, Imperial Tropicals in Florida is my all time favorite online fish seller. They have species impossible to find locally. However, I’m doing very well getting some wonderful fish from private parties that are far less costly, if not free, & don’t involve the $40 overnight shipping fee. But I continue to buy from Imperial.

BTW, your fish are beautiful!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice I’m planning on donating them too a freind who has a 300 gallon I want too convert all my tanks too reef only I been keeping fw for years now and am steadily getting more into salt water I had my jd in a solitary 55 for the last 2 years but it sprung a leak that’s why I placed them with the Oscar’s for now until I transfer them too my friends tank

Thank u for the comment on my fish I respect that u joined a group I am wanting too as well it’s always nice too be around people that love the hobby

All of you folks moving from FW to SW have been a great financial boom for me! Yay! I get stuff at usually 25% retail. In great condition, although I did have to replace the motor on a Fluval FX4 filter. Still the filter sells for $300 at Amazon & the motor was ~50.
Three of my tanks came from FW guys going SW. Some awesome fish too. & two tanks were from people leaving SW for no fish at all. Lots of people in & out of this hobby. I’m a Semper fi kinda girl.

:fish1::dance::fish2:

Last edited:
Lol I don’t know why they’d sell you there tanks they are the same either hobby too be honest both hobbies are fun that’s why I’ve kept all the tanks I have from fw too brackish too marine!!

I’m never leaving the hobby in fact I’ve been in it for over 20 years I’m just graduating and earning my masters

Some sold to go bigger and the last guy who sold a 75 G went smaller. He wanted a fancy bow front 36 G. I bought an unassembled DIY stand that was designed to hold a 55 on the lower level & a 125 on the upper & wanted to put a 75 on the lower level (2 dojo loaches and 4 fancy goldfish, a cold water tank.) So we reassembled the unfinished stand with many added 2x4s and a few 4x4 posts, left and right of the 75. I think it looks really cool. We mounted a big TV above it. There’s a pic of the stand here. Search for Jacky’s Stand Built For Two (or something like that)

That’s a terrific photo. How old are the Oscars? What device do you photograph with? My guess is a cell that does a lot better than my old iPad.

What did you earn your master’s in? Mine is in biology, earned on the way to a PhD, comparative invertebrate immunology.

Nice that tank sounds awesome mines in marine biology thank u I use an iPhone 12 the Oscar’s are 4 years old the Dempseys 2 we raised them since babies we love them just may end up getting a bigger tank and keeping them thanks again wat a blessing too get your tanks at a discount

Yakoke. Sure you can find similar discounts in local FB groups or Craig’s. I got my first 90 G there with a 20 G sump & a beautiful mahogany canopy cabinet & lights/heaters with 20 cichlids/catfish on Craigslist. Under $500. Saw some of the adult African Cichlids retailing at high prices online.

Yakoke. It was a fun project. I’m being told I need to do a better job to prevent evaporation from the 125 damaging the TV. Plan is to cut down a transparent blue shower curtains & secure to tank rear. The 125 has a Fluval FX4 behind the red Formica & the hoses protrude out, so the flexible vinyl curtain should work.

They sent me a different one for 2022. Mythological woodpecker, same as the Nation’s newspaper. The bird spread news from town to town. How does this relate to fish one might ask? The bird knew all the best fishing spots & kept the villagers informed. Often, fish were preserved in the pots depicted in your ornament. Fish are an important part of Choctaw culture. Fish tales were passed from generation to generation.

Attachments

• B8E15F34-3AC3-49B4-ACC8-C97F570C9FA8.jpg
    B8E15F34-3AC3-49B4-ACC8-C97F570C9FA8.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom