300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful! Just got back from sailing around the BVIs. Goal is to live down there some day

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow are lasers really needed now? I thought the aiptasia zapper was going far enough.

I'm a engineer, I like, no, love experimenting with things. So you might just see about anything on my thread.

Greg, how would that wand work against unwanted hairy lavender mushrooms ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hank,..it's where these hairy little monsters are located which makes it tough to get at ,.. I'm not trying to irradiate the whole colony but just trying to keep it under control so they don't over run the whole tank, The laser works to an extent but requires a lot of patience,... On the other hand a zapper might fit the bill nicely if it were to work at all ,... Just looking at options :)

What do you guys think of calcium reactors, vs dosing alk/cal in a heavily populated SPS mixed reef? I also dose kalkwasser.

I'd stick to dosing if you can get it mixed up in a large volume of each then it's care free

I've heard that calcium reactors can be tricky since it alters ph to get the calcium to degrade the chunks and if not done right can effect the ph in the tank itself.

Greg., I'd say if it's not broken then don't fix it , you've made it this far doing what you do and have done very well,....BUT , We're starting to know that you get itchy not trying things out for yourself so let us know what brand and model you get :)

I'm really not looking yet. My tank has taken a downward trend that I don't like at all. I'm blaming a lack of proper alk/cal balance. My approach to this has always been very simplistic. So I'm looking to upgrade my kalkwasser dosing system or scrap it entirely for a calcium reactor.

I'm really not looking yet. My tank has taken a downward trend that I don't like at all. I'm blaming a lack of proper alk/cal balance. My approach to this has always been very simplistic. So I'm looking to upgrade my kalkwasser dosing system or scrap it entirely for a calcium reactor.

So is this a sudden decline or something that's been steadily decreasing over time ? What negative effects are materializing tank wise ?

I have lost a few favorite frogspawns, my 6 year old bubble coral died as did my rapidly growing Bonsai and one other beautiful SPS. Everything else is doing fine.

This started when a few old fish died in the reef. Nutrient levels spiked so I started Rowaphos and water exchanges to work it down over a couple of months. This is when the trouble started, Dkh went to 12. It's now down to 10 after stopping dosing for a couple of weeks. I am trying to re stabilize the system that has worked for decades.

I got a dosing pump.. Still haven't used it im manually dosing every night

I have lost a few favorite frogspawns, my 6 year old bubble coral died as did my rapidly growing Bonsai and one other beautiful SPS. Everything else is doing fine.

This started when a few old fish died in the reef. Nutrient levels spiked so I started Rowaphos and water exchanges to work it down over a couple of months. This is when the trouble started, Dkh went to 12. It's now down to 10 after stopping dosing for a couple of weeks. I am trying to re stabilize the system that has worked for decades.

Wow that sucks !!! I know you thought this whole thing thru so what do you think happened with the dkh etc?

I don't know yet. GFO can cause the water balance to change some. But that seemed like a lot.

Back
Top Bottom