35gal reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
Thanks man. I really like this forum, too. (y)

The pads are called Poly Filter and lots of us have used them for years.

The best stuff is Rowaphos. It's a bit pricier but less will remove more PO4 faster than anything else I've tried. It can be put in a fine carbon bag. Truly great stuff.

You could also try PhosBan.

Thank you!
I've heard of phosban but never tried it.
I'll give the Rowaphos a try. Hopefully my lfs has it in stock.

I found the Rowaphos at my lfs and have it in and running. I hope it solves my Ciano issue before I have to start getting aggressive with it. I also added a brain coral, purple mushrooms and a nice zoa frag with 2 different color polyps.

I've been running the Rowaphos for 2 days now and Ciano is worse than It's ever been tonight. Fed the fish lite yesterday and today. Grrrrrr! :eek: also frogspawn is all shriveled up for the last few days. KH seems to be always high. Using ro/di water. Could the air pump in my skilter be pumping in contaminants?

apet66 said:
I've been running the Rowaphos for 2 days now and Ciano is worse than It's ever been tonight. Fed the fish lite yesterday and today. Grrrrrr! :eek: also frogspawn is all shriveled up for the last few days. KH seems to be always high. Using ro/di water. Could the air pump in my skilter be pumping in contaminants?

No chance unless you use aerosol sprays around the air pump. All skimmers work the same. The pump pushes water into the reaction chamber and air from the room gets injected. Any style skimmer will rely on tank water and pollutant free air. If ant contamination is present it isn't from your equipment.

It's not unusual to see an increase in growth before all the phosphates are gone. If you suck out the cyano during the next few water changes you'll begin to see less and less, then soon none at all. It will take a couple of water changes. You don't actually want it to die and decompose in the tank. The idea is to remove want feeds the cyano and then suck it out. Rid you have strong water flow from a couple of powerheads it'll help. Cyano hates flow.

CorallineAlgae said:
No chance unless you use aerosol sprays around the air pump. All skimmers work the same. The pump pushes water into the reaction chamber and air from the room gets injected. Any style skimmer will rely on tank water and pollutant free air. If ant contamination is present it isn't from your equipment.

It's not unusual to see an increase in growth before all the phosphates are gone. If you suck out the cyano during the next few water changes you'll begin to see less and less, then soon none at all. It will take a couple of water changes. You don't actually want it to die and decompose in the tank. The idea is to remove want feeds the cyano and then suck it out. Rid you have strong water flow from a couple of powerheads it'll help. Cyano hates flow.

Thank you, the reason I worried about the air is, I have the air pump that feeds the skilter sitting on my carpet and it draws air from the bottom of the pump. I did the mod to quiet it down. I set the pump on a piece of acrylic yesterday just to elimination the possibility of contamination from the air pump.
I may have to invest in another powerhead. Currently have a 465gal/hr powerhead in a 35gal tank. Just don't want to blow my sand into the water column.

Oh lord, I have a mantis shrimp in my tank. Just saw the little hitch hiker this morning. He's about a half inch long. That would explain my 3 peppermint shrimp deaths. My blood red fire shrimp must still be to large for him to tackle.

Well after several water changes I have my Ciano under control. I have been unsuccessful in catching the mantis shrimp. Just witnessed my citron goby taking bites out of my candy corals and frog spawn. This fish was supposedly reef safe. Haven't seen the bi-color blenny go after any coral lately. What should I do to distract them from eating the corals????

apet66 said:
Well after several water changes I have my Ciano under control. I have been unsuccessful in catching the mantis shrimp. Just witnessed my citron goby taking bites out of my candy corals and frog spawn. This fish was supposedly reef safe. Haven't seen the bi-color blenny go after any coral lately. What should I do to distract them from eating the corals????

You just have to take them out and bring them back to the store. Once they decide that your corals are food it's time to pack their bags.

Dang, that's what I thought but hoped for a different solution. I can't have them killing my corals though.

Question...
My tank is 36" long 15" top to bottom 16" front to back. 2 Chromis, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 PJ Cardinal, 1 fire shrimp and the bi-color blenny and citron goby. If I take the citron goby and bi-color blenny back what will be compatible with what I have and won't eat my corals? The tank has an open top so no jumpers. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I'd get a cleaner shrimp and call it done. I wouldn't put more than 4 fish in a 35 myself. If you really want another fish you could get a clown or a maybe even try another small goby. They're really usually well behaved.

Honestly, I'd get a cleaner shrimp and call it done. I wouldn't put more than 4 fish in a 35 myself. If you really want another fish you could get a clown or a maybe even try another small goby. They're really usually well behaved.

I'll have to catch that mantis shrimp before I add any other shrimp. I thought a clown would be good. What about a blue spotted jawfish?

Oh forgot I also have a purple firefish. Their all small fish. I heard clowns can become territorial and nippy to other fish.

apet66 said:
Oh forgot I also have a purple firefish. Their all small fish. I heard clowns can become territorial and nippy to other fish.

You always want to consider the adult size of all your fish when sticking any tank. It's really crucial. Yes, clowns can become territorial but they're a very common part of a reef community and I think your tank is large enough for a small clown. Still, with your fish load I'd recommend not adding anything else. It just makes things harder after everybody is grown. I've had two 30L reefs.

You always want to consider the adult size of all your fish when sticking any tank. It's really crucial. Yes, clowns can become territorial but they're a very common part of a reef community and I think your tank is large enough for a small clown. Still, with your fish load I'd recommend not adding anything else. It just makes things harder after everybody is grown. I've had two 30L reefs.

I really appreciate the advice. It's a very common mistake most of us make. ( over stocking ) your absolutely right. I'll do what I can to get the 2 trouble makers back to my lfs. That would leave me with 5. I also at some point would like to add a small starfish. When you referred to cleaner shrimp would peppermint shrimp be the preferred species?

Skunk cleaners are the best. They're usually more friendly and interesting than most fish. Peppermint shrimp hide so much. You just never see them unless you have a colony. I still like them but they won't stay out, clean under your nails and service other fish like the skunks will. If you prefer peppermint shrimp they're useful too.

Thank you! I've never heard of skunk cleaners, I'll check my lfs to see if they ever get them in. I had 3 small peppermint shrimp and never saw them. I believe the mantis shrimp killed them, found their empty shells. I've been trying to trap the little bugger without success. My fire shrimp is too large for him to tackle, at the moment. Ahhhhh life in the reef...
Thoughts on a starfish?

Some starfish are not reef safe their is a good app in the App Store if your using a phone or actually a couple that tell if they are reef safe or not!

Back
Top Bottom