35gal reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Def bristles. That is all you'll see of them. My tank is FULL of them. The amount of arms that comes out of my rockwork sometimes is incredible. There are some different sizes of them, but i prefer the smaller ones since the larger sometimes have a habit of starving to death.

As for the clam...I don't see it.

The clam is open about an 1/8 of an inch. Diagonal from 11:00 to 5:00. I know I'll need to buy some plankton for the clam. Anyone have advice on what to feed the brittle stars? I love cool hitch hikers!

ForumRunner_20121110_155030.jpg

Well that's the best kind of hitch hikers. No additional food or care needed. Happy day again!

3 new corals today. I was so excited to get them I forgot to write their names down. Also added a bi-color blenny.

ForumRunner_20121119_172633.jpg

ForumRunner_20121119_172657.jpg

ForumRunner_20121119_172735.jpg

For anyone who has had a run in with Cirolanids I do not envy you. This one was attached to my Purple Firefish all day yesterday. I tried for hours to catch the fish without success. The Cirolanid detached from him after the lights were out. Today after much research and worrying about the possibility of losing all my fish to this predator, I managed to see him swimming and sucked him up with my focus feeder. Lol! I will remain watchful and catch any more I see.

ForumRunner_20121122_141621.jpg

ForumRunner_20121122_141655.jpg

Wow! I've never heard of those, so I read a couple articles about them- now they scare the crap out of me!! I really hope I never see one of those!! Good luck with that!!

Thanks! They can wipe out an entire aquarium of fish. And they can breed like mad. Found this red worm mass creeping along the sand and sucked them out also. They just didn't look like they belonged.

ForumRunner_20121123_093623.jpg

I see you're running a Skilter. I used one for years on a 30L reef. You can mod it to run better and quieter with an air pump, check valve and extra fine air stone in the skimmer chamber. The filter will have more flow and the skimmer will get more air that way. Makes the setup so much quieter. Just thought I'd pass that info along.

CorallineAlgae said:
I see you're running a Skilter. I used one for years on a 30L reef. You can mod it to run better and quieter with an air pump, check valve and extra fine air stone in the skimmer chamber. The filter will have more flow and the skimmer will get more air that way. Makes the setup so much quieter. Just thought I'd pass that info along.

That's exactly what I did with it from day one and your absolutely right, way quieter and better flow. Does a great job on my 35 gallon reef. :)

Any advice or known issues with the Skilter? Phosphate buildup in the floss? Any info is appreciated greatly!

Some pics.

ForumRunner_20121130_122048.jpg

ForumRunner_20121130_122549.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121130_121504.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121130_121504.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20121130_121526.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121130_121526.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20121130_121756.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121130_121756.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20121130_122013.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121130_122013.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 118
apet66 said:
Any advice or known issues with the Skilter? Phosphate buildup in the floss? Any info is appreciated greatly!

I never had any problems with it at all. I sometimes cut my own pads out of the blue bonded cut-to-fit pads or PolyChem (think thats the name). It's good to toss a pouch of Purigen in the filter if you have some. Somebody makes phosphate absorbing pads that can be cut to use in it but I forget who makes it. It's an option if phosphate becomes an issue.

Great pics!

I will get some of your advised products. Have a slight issue with Ciano at the moment. Doing small water changes along with siphoning it out with airline tubing.
Thanks a bunch!

apet66 said:
I will get some of your advised products. Have a slight issue with Ciano at the moment. Doing small water changes along with siphoning it out with airline tubing.
Thanks a bunch!

No problem. I'll see if I can pull up the name of that phosphate absorbing pad as soon as I get on the PC.

Phosphate Killers

Thanks man. I really like this forum, too. (y)

The pads are called Poly Filter and lots of us have used them for years.

The best stuff is Rowaphos. It's a bit pricier but less will remove more PO4 faster than anything else I've tried. It can be put in a fine carbon bag. Truly great stuff.

You could also try PhosBan.

Back
Top Bottom