Converting frm FW 2 Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I see everyone on here really knows what they are talking about. Maybe I can get some help. I Wang to convert my freshwater fish tank into salt water. Completely new to me. I have always had freshwater, but now I have a 75 gallon tank. Gave away the fish and just emptied the water out.

What should be my first few steps? Thanks

Cleaning the tank would be your first step

I have cleaned the tank. And will not reuse any decor or gravel

What kind of Sw? Fishonlywithlive rock FOWLR? A reef aquarium?

Yes, plan for your supplies.

RO/DI water (or ro/di unit for making your own)
Salt
Tub/bin/whatever for mixing salt
Refractometer (though really you could use a hydrometer)
Rock
Substrate
Circulation pumps
Protein Skimmer (don't know if you will need one in a 75 with routine water changes but it will definitely benefit lots)
Filtration - are you going to go with sump or a canister or a hob?
Lights - doesn't matter if you're going to go fish only, but if you do plan to do a reef, might as well get a fixture that will support it rather than buy one now only not to use it later
Test Kits (API Master test kit, I also use a digital pH meter) Also other test kits if you plan to do reef (phosphate, calcium.. some others?)
Heater (and a spare one to use while mixing saltwater)
Thermometer

.. that's all I can think of for now that are really essentials

I want a reef aquarium, and I know I want a variety for the color of the fish. How many would you recommend. And what about my filters, I'm sure I need to upgrade right?

Really you only need the biological filtration that will occur naturally when your tank cycles.

However I think everyone uses some form of mechanical filtration as well. You can choose from a sump setup, a canister filter, a hang on back filter, and other filtration supplies like a protein skimmer.

This is up to you.

Is your tank drilled for a reef setup? This would mean water flowing out of your aquarium to some other spot (usually below the aquarium) where it is then filtered and returned to the aquarium. If it's not drilled, you can still do a sump setup (i do) with a hang on back overflow box.

The sump would be the best set up.

However, hang on back filters and canister filters can still be a really good option. What do you currently have?

Your choice of filtration is really up to you. :)

Back
Top Bottom