Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I've seen some really nice white ones. It is now completely ready to be painted. I'm currently leaning towards black because the trim on the tank is black and I already have enough black paint. Hopefully I will have time to paint it tomorrow. :)

Sounds like a plan. Can't wait to see the finished product. What tools did you use to build your stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like a plan. Can't wait to see the finished product. What tools did you use to build your stand.

Drill, skill saw, sander, air compressor & brad gun.

Traded in some coral today for 3 15lb (45lbs) of flamingo reef sand today. Got rid in some frags and my galaxea for it. I was wanting to get the special grade seaflor (1-2mm) but they did not have it. I did discover a sand I gave not heard of called flamingo reef. Its like the figi pink but the same grain size as the special grade. I think I will be very happy with it. I like the figi pink.

XKyrAdh.jpg

(not my photo)
TmagEgI.jpg

Traded in some coral today for 3 15lb (45lbs) of flamingo reef sand today. Got rid in some frags and my galaxea for it. I was wanting to get the special grade seaflor (1-2mm) but they did not have it. I did discover a sand I gave not heard of called flamingo reef. Its like the figi pink but the same grain size as the special grade. I think I will be very happy with it. I like the figi pink.

XKyrAdh.jpg

(not my photo)
TmagEgI.jpg

I like the larger pieces in there. I ordered the Ocean direct which I think has some larger pieces.

Attachments

• 1422712627935.jpg
    1422712627935.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 311
I like the larger pieces in there. I ordered the Ocean direct which I think has some larger pieces.

Ocean Direct just means it is live sand. Thats not actually the type of sand. It should say on there somewhere.

Got the tank drilled today! Man, I forget how nerve racking it can be. It was in the 40's outside but the water was cold! I used the same exact bits I used on my 38. The 1st hole took forever. The last 2 were a breeze. Bulkheads are in also. Now if I can find time to paint the stand and mount the doors. (y)

fxo4cUO.jpg

fWEU7pM.jpg

Bulkheads are mounted. Back glass on tank & the stand is painted. Also got necessary plumbing part ready to go. All that's left is plumbing assembly & mounting doors. The hard part is going to be the transfer. Sump, overflow box, gate valve, & check valve are all being used on the new setup. I plan to cut the sump loose from the tank and cap it on on the 38. My skimmer is an hob so I can hang it up on the DT while I get everything hooked up to the 40. Its gonna be a process to say the least!

Y0dNlJb.jpg

h55EoTK.jpg

Got the tank drilled today! Man, I forget how nerve racking it can be. It was in the 40's outside but the water was cold! I used the same exact bits I used on my 38. The 1st hole took forever. The last 2 were a breeze. Bulkheads are in also. Now if I can find time to paint the stand and mount the doors. (y)

fxo4cUO.jpg

fWEU7pM.jpg

Looks great Paul. I think that is the hardest part getting the tank drilled.

Bulkheads are mounted. Back glass on tank & the stand is painted. Also got necessary plumbing part ready to go. All that's left is plumbing assembly & mounting doors. The hard part is going to be the transfer. Sump, overflow box, gate valve, & check valve are all being used on the new setup. I plan to cut the sump loose from the tank and cap it on on the 38. My skimmer is an hob so I can hang it up on the DT while I get everything hooked up to the 40. Its gonna be a process to say the least!

Y0dNlJb.jpg

h55EoTK.jpg

That stand looks really nice Paul.

The stand is complete! 2nd coat of paint, cleaned and repainted doors, replaced hinges on doors, & mounted and adjusted doors. I'm gonna be gluing sone of those foam/felt super sliders under the corners of the tank stand as well. The only way the sump tank can come in/out is through the back of the stand. Shouldn't need to go anywhere hopefully though, but just in case.

CL5dEkY.jpg

Paint is fully dry on the last coat. Also got the felt/foam slidders glued on the bottom 4 corners of the stand. Things are coming together. Been sick with a nasty upper respiratory infection the past couple days so haven't really been able to do much. Here is where I am at now.

M9djy1f.jpg

AEm7CkI.jpg

I had that same bug take care of it right , mine turned into pneumonia not a very fun experience week and a half in hospital .

I had that same bug take care of it right , mine turned into pneumonia not a very fun experience week and a half in hospital .

Will do! Sorry to hear about that, I know that must have been miserable.

Looking great Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom