Salt Water Startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I turned off the heater yesterday and when I woke up this morning the temp was still over 80
Try putting it in a shaded part of the tank and see if it makes a difference. Is your tank near a radiator or window? Are the lights on or off?

No Windows, The AC in my house is blowing and the Heater is in the darkest corner of the tank...

We'll see what the temps are when i get back from wrok

Not the heater, i meant the thermometer, sorry my bad. Is the wall it's on an exterior wall of the house exposed to a lot of sun?

The thermometer is also in a shadded area. I havent turned the aquarium lights on at all yesterday.

there is no direct sunlight that even comes near the tank...

I might have a defective heater. WHY? because even when i turn it down to 70 it turns on.

The thermometer is also in a shadded area. I havent turned the aquarium lights on at all yesterday.

there is no direct sunlight that even comes near the tank...

I might have a defective heater. WHY? because even when i turn it down to 70 it turns on.

I believe it is time for a new heater as you said. It just doesnt seem like it's working correctly. :(

usually when the light on the heater turn on that means its heating, when the light turn off i assume its off.

That would generally be the case yes
That isn't the case all of the time, the 400 watt Hydor theo heaters I bought are elctronic and do some weird stuff, the light flashes on and off with no consistent intervals, it took me a couple of days to adjust.

Has he unplugged the heater all together to see what happens? Also an important note is the thermostat in most heaters use two bimetallic strips which is mechanical in nature and prone to getting stuck (the more expensive models use a higher grade of metal which reduces these types of failures) in the closed position keeping the heater on even though you physically turned the stat down. I would try unplugging the unit and monitor the tank to see if the temp drops. If it does it's time for a new heater.

I picked up some frogspawn, baby pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby.

Will post pictures later... The Frogspawn has opened up since I put it into the tank. Looks beautiful...

Can't wait to see the pics. BTW what did you do with heater issue?

The heater is not plugged in and the temp is stable at 80. I will have to buy another heater for sure but for now the temp is good without...

Oopps WRONG picture upload

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4564.jpg
    IMG_4564.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4575.jpg
    IMG_4575.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 56
The problem is I can't find my little Shrimp! He's not with the Watchman....

Back
Top Bottom