Scott's DIY 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
chillers would work also, and its a great thing to have, just REALLY expensive. i understand what you mean by the temperature not really changing because of the ambient temp, but with how cheap you could get one, why not try?

Good point. I'll give it a try today. I have a few spare pc fans and 12v dc adaptors around I'm sure.

I wonder if I want to have one sucking air in the canopy and one sucking air out of the canopy.

Or just a single or double blowing across the surface of the water.

I think since the back is open (well, it has eggcrate, but still open) I will just have one or two blowing directly down on the water.

scottayy said:
Good point. I'll give it a try today. I have a few spare pc fans and 12v dc adaptors around I'm sure.

I wonder if I want to have one sucking air in the canopy and one sucking air out of the canopy.

Or just a single or double blowing across the surface of the water.

I think since the back is open (well, it has eggcrate, but still open) I will just have one or two blowing directly down on the water.

The one sucking air in and one blowing it out sounds like a good idea. You might just have to play around with the placement to see what works

So this was probably the easiest DIY I've ever done. Hooked up a 12v dc output adaptor to a 12v input pc fan.

img_1856286_0_6c903a6f62b2b95a51d6c70295bf2417.jpg

Just put it blowing over the water to see if it does anything for now. Temp right now is 83. If it can get it down to 80 I will be super impressed. If it works I will mount it inside the canopy.

I decided to go all out :p

Hooked up two pc fans and put them over my sump. I'll check temps in the morning.

img_1856571_0_68b0ae619f608226a51c23a226f3040e.jpg

It's early, but tank temp is 77 ambient temp is 79.
I will see where it holds at as the day heats up and this room gets warmer.

scottayy said:
So this was probably the easiest DIY I've ever done. Hooked up a 12v dc output adaptor to a 12v input pc fan.

Just put it blowing over the water to see if it does anything for now. Temp right now is 83. If it can get it down to 80 I will be super impressed. If it works I will mount it inside the canopy.

Wait, all u have to do to put the fans on that 12v dc is cut the wire strip some plastic off and attach the fan wires??

Wait, all u have to do to put the fans on that 12v dc is cut the wire strip some plastic off and attach the fan wires??

Yes. And electrical tape. Don't let the two sets of wires touch after attaching to dc adapter.

Tank temp is at 78. Looks like this will work for now! Waiting to see what happens when the really hot weather comes this summer.

I should've cleaned the fans before I put them on there lol now my water is cloudy.

Thanks!
I just wanted to see if it worked. Did it with stuff I had around the house so it cost me $0. Now I'll probably buy some new fans that push more air with less noise.

Have to look closely in this picture, but I have discovered a cave :D Does this look like a pistol shrimp's work?

img_1857386_0_83a56132ea9239273427b36ad14e3330.jpg

If it is, he made a burrow from the back to the front (or snuck in front and dug it without me noticing).

Either way, if my shrimp and goby pair here it will be awesome - right out front.

I think goby kinda hangs at the entrance so the shrimp can always feel him. But he will dart in the cave of threatened

I hope they pair. That will be awesome.

Well it just got 86 in here. Boiling beans, lol. I think it's safe to say it will never be that warm in here this summer. We just don't want to turn on the air conditioner in march.

Tank temp is 80. :)

Glad you guys talked me into the fans.

scottayy said:
I hope they pair. That will be awesome.

Well it just got 86 in here. Boiling beans, lol. I think it's safe to say it will never be that warm in here this summer. We just don't want to turn on the air conditioner in march.

Tank temp is 80. :)

Glad you guys talked me into the fans.

Awesome! Glad to help!:)

Back
Top Bottom