Scott's DIY 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Panorama pro, reflector, and wall transformer thingy are on the way!

I can't seem to kick this cyano. My guess is a significant amount of nutrients are still leeching out of the rocks. I've done two 60% PWC's a day apart, and then a 3rd 20% PWC 2 days later. Sucked it all out each time. It's still growing back long and stringy. I guess I'll just let it grow for a while consuming the nutrients. The only thing is I don't know if cyano releases nutrients back into the water when it dies.

A funny thing is, my half brother thought I was growing sea weed. :-D

Have you tried erythromycin to get rid of the cyano? I know people always recommend against adding anything to tanks, and finding the root cause, etc, but for cyano, my experience with it is after trying everything to get rid of it (flow, light, manual cleaning, etc) after 3 days of erythromycin treatment it went away and never came back. Granted this was a FW system that I am talking about, but I don't see why there would be much difference. I have heard others say the same thing - 1 short treatment period, and it was gone forever.

Yeah I used a red slime remover before in my 55 gallon and it worked well. It also killed the beneficial bacteria and caused a cycle, though. I'm guessing it was an antibiotic and was indiscriminate against the bacteria it killed.

It never came back though.

I'm going to wait it out on this and try lots of water changes (much easier with a 10 gallon). Sure is annoying to look at though.

That's the beauty of erythromycin though - if you are using it in the right form it is discriminate. It kills gram negative bacteria and leaves nitrobacter and nitrosomona alone. Maybe the read slime remover had other ingredients?

I've used ultra life red slime remover. If you go to the YouTube link in my sig, you'll find the episode I made of it.

I've also used red slime remover several times, it seems each tank I setup goes through a red slime phase. lol

I had no ill effects on my corals or fish and after one day it was gone never to return again.

I am usually against adding things to a tank like chemicals but in this case I made an exception and would use it again if I need to.

That's how I am also. I tried every natural way that I know of, and nothing worked. I was informed that it was the most natural algae killer on the market.

I'll give it more manual work before I decide to go the chemical route. I am not against it, I would just prefer the natural way if I can do it.

I cycled with 4 frozen silversides which gave me about 8ppm ammonia at the peak reading. I only have 3 micro fish and a shrimp in there lol. So I'm sure a lot of beneficial bacteria is dying and causing this as well.

I'm not ready to go the chemical route yet, but I will if I have to.

Any place sell nano media reactors? I looked online and it looks like a company made them but went out of business.

My mesh back isn't getting enough flow through it.

scottayy said:
Any place sell nano media reactors? I looked online and it looks like a company made them but went out of business.

My mesh back isn't getting enough flow through it.

CPR makes one. You could use a phosban one as well

You could also make one. There's an easy gatorade reactor that could work. Phosban reactors are relatively cheap though so buying one would be pretty beneficial.

I'm not gonna make one. I've done too much DIY lol.

Anyways, the panorama pro module came today! I really like the crisp white/blue look. Now it has me wondering if I want another of the same module, or an all blue one. I think it will be too blue if I get an all blue one?

Anyways, pics!

Installed in canopy:
img_1892777_0_c8a98e5f7f52145fe76c1f719e19a09a.jpg

FTS:
img_1892777_1_ba9df521a840ccf64fe70ce8b7ee6b8f.jpg

My darn phone won't capture the coloring right
img_1892777_2_ce67dd604369cc842bcbf11a3c3fcc24.jpg

Yeah, the shimmer is sweet too. I think I'll get another one of those modules and then I will have 8 actinics and 16 whites. I think they're 1.5W each? The fixture description says it's 19W, so for 12 LED's that would have to be about 1.5 each.

What kind of coral could I grow with 12W 445nm LEDs?

Thanks! What fixture are you getting?

I'm about to go to lowes and see if I can't hook this mag drive 1.9 up to some rigid tubing. Getting tired of the via aqua pump, even after i fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom