We are going for a different look!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is about 4 1/2 inches now, as big as our bannerfish (minus the banner!) at his tip there has appeared the slightest hint of yellow!!

Here is that coral I was looking at, I think the only problem I would have would be our banner fish nipping at it

image-916557838.jpg

It's the one on the back wall

TLTGF said:
Well... that's a really big question. There is a lot of factors that go into giving a specific answer, but I will give you some general ideas. Mind you that I've only been reefkeeping for a little over a year, so I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what myself and others seem to believe works.

There are (4) main factors:

[*]Water Quality / Parameters
[*]Livestock
[*]Lighting
[*]Financial Investment
1) Water Quality

With corals, like you said, water quality is certainly important. The tricky part is that depending on what corals you have can change the way you think about your water. In general, "Beginner" corals such as Mushroom, Zoanthids, Palythoas, and other soft corals like "Leather" corals, can live and thrive in "dirty" water. On the other hand as you go up the so-called difficulty scale, it is often said that Corals such as LPS (Large polyp stony) and mainly SPS (Small polyp stony) need much cleaner water with very low phosphates and Nitrates present.

Parameters are also different in that with corals, Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium also become more crucial as corals use these elements to build on. In some cases it is beneficial to switch salt brands i.e. from Instand Ocean to Reef Crystals. They generally claim that it is more beneficial. Also the Salinity will generally be higher. Normal FOWLR is 1.023 whereas a reef is 1.0255 - 1.026.

2) Livestock

It is important to consider this when thinking about growing corals because there are a vast amount of "non-reef safe" inhabitants. Some fish and inverts are knows to eat or hurt corals, or the "clean up crew" (CUC).

3) Lighting

Along with water quality, lighting might be the most important to consider. The same theme holds true however, that typically corals such as softies, mushrooms, etc. only require low lighting conditions (Some growing in dark caves). These corals can live under T8, small 1-2 bulb T5's, Compact flourescents, etc. while most LPS and SPS require very high light conditions provided typically by multi (4-8) bulb T5 units, a high quality LED system, or Metal Halides.

4) Financial Investment

I add this in, because quite honestly, it is a true factor. Creating a reef can cost a great deal of money in the corals alone. Some people offset the initial cost by purchasing frags, or fragments of a large coral, typically 1-4" depending on the type of course. Frags range from $5-50, whereas a full coral can cost $20-$500.

My 54 gallon reef contains several hundred dollars in coral. My small biocube is around the same.

The corals certainly add beauty to a tank, and I'm in no way trying to discourage, but it is nice to know where you stand.

There are many other specifics that really depend on what you are looking to house, but that should give you something to start with. A google search, and even searching the forums can provide you with 1000's of pages and articles that can break down the information much better than me.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'll still be following along!

Wow great write up man!

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
Here is that coral I was looking at, I think the only problem I would have would be our banner fish nipping at it

Hmm looks like a type of Xenia? Now that is somthing that you could easily buy and keep in your tank. They are amongthe easier corals to keep! I say buy a bit of it and see how it does!:)

With Xenia, all kidding aside, people put it in the pest category because it will grow like a weed and take over your tank if you don't control it.

With Xenia, all kidding aside, people put it in the pest category because it will grow like a weed and take over your tank if you don't control it.

+1 I keep an ad on CL giving.away free xenia just so I can get rid of the extra growth which I still find.myself getting overrun from time to time.

Ok so we just bought our first piece of coral, it's a tester piece to see if our bannerfish and Koran will leave it be! So far so good!

image-4281127580.jpg

Hello.. I have been subscribing to this this thread and just wanted to take a moment to say well done.

Your sw tank is beautiful and very original!

I am envious of its beauty and can only hope some day that my sw tank will come close to its beauty.

Once again...WELL DONE:lol:

Thank you Koco35 for your kind words and support. Been through many ups and downs, with mistakes made and learned from.

The best advice I can give is dedication, been doing this tank for nearly 2 years and EVERY week made a 50 litre water change and changed carbon every 4 weeks without fail.

I've found not to panic when fish are looking like they might show signs of developing white spot, fish have an instinct to survive like all living things and in my case the fish have fought back and are perfectly healthy, have faith!

Been away from here for a bit, thought I'd post a new picture of my Koran angel, see the yellow starting to develop on the streamer he is growing! Can't believe the amount he has grown in nearly 2 years

image-1159926805.jpg

Ok needing some advice, wanting to upgrade my powerheads, as when I first started out in my smaller tank I bought 2 cheap unheard of powerheads that just don't cut the mustard anymore!
It a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank, any suggestions on how powerful they would ideally need to be for optimum flow.

Finally got my Halides back up and running so I thought I'd update some pics as most recent ones have only had the blue t5's, the tank is soooo bright now!

image-992536769.jpg

image-4274564535.jpg

image-3154217727.jpg

image-416153870.jpg

image-1051955433.jpg

image-1875198144.jpg

image-2484282077.jpg

image-593135222.jpg

Amazing that even more mushrooms are starting to spawn, that's 5 now from our miraculous survivor!

image-1840086698.jpg

Back
Top Bottom