What kind of light do I need for coral/anenome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hafpint

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 10 gal saltwater tank with 2 clown fish, 1 shrimp and 3 snails. It has a blue light with lots of live rock.

I want to add some coral/anenome's and would like to know what kind of light is best.
Any help would be appreciated as I am new to saltwater tanks

How old us the tank to start? Nems need a tank that is a minimum of 6 months old and very strong lighting to survive.

My tank is approx 18 months old...I was just recently given it already established.

I am looking to add more to the live rock either anenome or coral.

I would reccomend upgrading to a bigger tank mayb a thirty gallon. And you need at least a good t5 fixture for the nem.

Thanks...there is currently a T-8 light in there now.

T5 ho or LED for 10gallon not recommend MH because its gonna makes your water too hot

If you plan on anything I would start with some easy corals. Mushrooms and zoas are good starter corals. See how ya fair and then in time try some other things. Nems can be annoying they like to move and its outta your control were they go, if they get to close to other coral they sting and kill. I would hold off on it. Kinda wish I didn't get mine but its to late now. :)

Thanks Crystal for the advice....I am in Ontario too, near Toronto....aside from Big Al's Store...do you know of any good coral suppliers ?

Thanks

Ha funny a bunch of Canadians eh! I do know of one place that is on the outskirts of Scarborough I just can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head. I will talk to the bro tomorrow and find out where it is. It's a mom and pop shop but they have some of the best corals around that I know Of aside from big als. Let me get back to ya on that one. :)

Thanks everyone...I am 1 hour east of TO...so Scarboro is easiest....I will look into some corals and think I will hold off on the anenome for now.
:fish2::thanks:

yeah better idea to stay away from Anemone for now. That being said, the best light for a nano tank is a Full spectrum PAR38 bulb with maybe 90 degree optic should give your tank a great coverage. I should get my PAR38 sample from my own factory in a week, I will let you know how it looks. Czu that is what I am planning to test it on, on a 10G rimless tank with maxi mini in it

It is called North American fish breeders. It's on hwy #2 just before it splits into the danforth. Look it up great place to buy coral at a cheap price. It's a mom and pop shop where the guy makes custom tanks. It's not a looker of a store but a great place to visit. I get excited when I know I'm going. Lol

What type of coral are you looking for? If you want a nem they have it at big als the one at Kennedy rd. I was there yesterday ;) there are bunch of good site to buy from ;)

Back
Top Bottom