Angel Fish Eggs. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got eggs!!!! They chose to lay on the clay pot instead of the plastic pipe so it's a good thing I put that in there. How many days before they hatch? The male doesn't seem to be eating them so hopefully these ones will hatch :)

Sorry to interupt your thread,I am no were near breading fish but you guys seem to know alot about angels. I have a easy and simple question how can you tell a male from a female?

Sorry to interupt your thread,I am no were near breading fish but you guys seem to know alot about angels. I have a easy and simple question how can you tell a male from a female?

Pretty much only when they're breeding and you can see their vents. If you want a pair get a group and then maybe you'll get a pair. It's almost impossible to tell in the store.

Got eggs!!!! They chose to lay on the clay pot instead of the plastic pipe so it's a good thing I put that in there. How many days before they hatch? The male doesn't seem to be eating them so hopefully these ones will hatch :)

At 78-80 degrees, Angel eggs usually hatch in 3-4 days. The fry will then absorb their yolk sac for about 3 -4 more days before becoming free swimming and needing another food source (My preferrence is Live baby Brine Shrimp.

Hope this helps (y)

At 78-80 degrees, Angel eggs usually hatch in 3-4 days. The fry will then absorb their yolk sac for about 3 -4 more days before becoming free swimming and needing another food source (My preferrence is Live baby Brine Shrimp.

Hope this helps (y)

I might go to petsmart tomorrow and try to get some. I turned my filter off so that the male would have an easier time fertilizing the eggs and added an air stone. If I do daily water changes and leave an air stone in could my water quality still be stable?

At this point, you'd be better to get the sponge filter over the shrimp eggs. (You have about a week before you need the eggs or shrimp.) The sponge needs to be cycled to keep the water clean. If you take the eggs and put them into a separate container or tank, the water quality will remain the same as the eggs won't pollute the water. I can't say the same for the breeder's water with just the airstone.

For what it's worth, you can't rush this and greater success will only come when you do things correctly. Short cuts usually lead to either dead fish or a lot of extra work.

At this point, you'd be better to get the sponge filter over the shrimp eggs. (You have about a week before you need the eggs or shrimp.) The sponge needs to be cycled to keep the water clean. If you take the eggs and put them into a separate container or tank, the water quality will remain the same as the eggs won't pollute the water. I can't say the same for the breeder's water with just the airstone.

For what it's worth, you can't rush this and greater success will only come when you do things correctly. Short cuts usually lead to either dead fish or a lot of extra work.

Yeah I guess ill see how it works out. Hopefully at least 10 will make it to adult hood.

5 of the eggs turned white. I'm guessing this means they're dead right? The rest are still a clearish color.

Yes, white eggs are dead. If the parents don't remove them, you can use a long toothpick and pluck them off yourself. This will help prevent them from fungusing and infecting the other eggs. (I use a long skewer used for Chinese hibachi cooking. It's long enough to not disturb the parents too much but get the job done ;) )

Yes, white eggs are dead. If the parents don't remove them, you can use a long toothpick and pluck them off yourself. This will help prevent them from fungusing and infecting the other eggs. (I use a long skewer used for Chinese hibachi cooking. It's long enough to not disturb the parents too much but get the job done ;) )

Oh ok ill remove them now. And good news! I just picked up some frozen Baby Brine Shrimp! :)

Ok screw that. It's hard to get an egg out from the middle without touching the other ones! Plus my hand was getting attacked. To much work so hopefully the dead eggs don't kill the live eggs.

Eggs were disappearing and more started turning white so I'm down to about 25 clear eggs so I took the pot out yesterday and moved it to a 3 gallon. I will raise the fry in the 3 gallon without a filter for a bout a week then Ill move them to the filtered 20 gallon with the parents back in the 220.

Since these are new breeders, this is not that unusual. At this point, you just want to make sure that you have a fertile pair so you need to be looking for 1 egg to hatch to confirm this. Make sure you put an airstone in front of the pot so that there is a stream of bubbles flowing in front of the eggs. You can see a diagram of what needs to be going on in my albums under "instruction charts".

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

All the eggs got moldy and there were very few that looked alive. I just removed them and put the slate back in my tank with the breeders. I'm just going to leave it in there next time they lay, and as soon as I see the first dead egg I will remove it. I saw your bubble diagram but is this necessary? And what are the benefits?

My sisters black convicts hatched and there are a ton of them! They are all together in a little hole under a piece of driftwood. I wish my Angels were that good of parents, but none if the BC eggs ever turned white like my Angels did. Is my female too old? She is about 4 years old.

some pairs will get it right the first time, and raise and protect there young, others sometimes takes a couple more tmes but get it right, if the eggs turn white then they were not furtilized by the male ,and are dead,you will no if the eggs are furtile, after a few days the eggs will start to wiggle, the parents sometimes will move the eggs to a different place, there is always the chance that they could eat them, some people take the eggs out and raise in seperate tank, but theres nothing like watching hundreds of babies swimming around there parents, if a batch of babies for what ever reason dies off they will usually spawn again in a couple weeks, i usually feed them frozen blood worms to get them fattened up and they usually have even bigger spawns each time

four years old is not to old ive breed pairs that wer six years old, and have had angels for ten years, they live fairly long

also you will have some eggs die in every batch, usully the parents will eat them while they are fanning and protecting them

also you will have some eggs die in every batch, usully the parents will eat them while they are fanning and protecting them

Yeah mine never did this so I guess they're inexperienced. I just took the eggs out yesterday and I can already see that there are more developing inside of her. Hopefully they'll get it next time! Is it good to have a slight current on the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom