Angels Breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FwA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a been trying to breed my Angels and was wondering what the go is here.
Some weird behavior happening. I have read about the breeding habbits, etc. but my large angel looked like it paired off with my only other adult angel. They have both been picking and cleaning for two days. But I havnt witnessed them kissing or challenging each other. Then after taking a good look at their behavior, out of no where one of my juvenile ones has started kissing the female instead. They are really aggressive towards each other and they both have their tubes out. The other male who was originally cleaning with her has no tube out.
Yet the two large ones are teaming up and both seem to attack the juvenile one.
I don't know if my female has paired with the adult or more juvenile one?
What do I do?

I ended up separating the juvenile and my Angela are laying eggs right now :D
I'm on a win. Bristlenose eggs 2 days ago. Now Angels. I need more tanks... Lol

So this is the angels first time as parents. I've got them in their usual 55g tank and all other angels removed. Only bristlenose juvies in there now.
What do I do next?

Attachments

• image-2625309436.jpg
    image-2625309436.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1429376102.jpg
    image-1429376102.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 92
Woke up this morning and nothing left to follow :(
6 eggs left out of hundreds :(
But. I'm not letting it crush my spirit! It was their first time and caught me by surprise. Time to set them up a special tank and avoid this next time.
Am I better to move parents to their own tank or move the object with eggs on it after they spawn and leave parents in usual tank?

I moved the eggs when mine bred. You can set up a bare bottomed hatching/grow out tank for them and just move the eggs.

I've done exactly that. They now have their very own 29g bare bottom :) I'm prepared for the next time :) any ideas how long they usually take to make their 2nd spawn?

Mine spawned just about every month for a while then stopped. Not sure why.

I usually do a water change to stimulate spawning. Angelfish respond to changes in temperature. This is assuming everything else is good.

Some pairs will spawn every 10-14 days when they're really on a roll then as they get a little older they seem to slow down to 3-4 weeks JME

Thanks for replies. My female is getting bigger again and it's been 8 days since she last laid. Maybe I can expect more soon.
Tank on 25c. What should I drop temp to, to induce spawning again?

Things are looking good. I thought moving them to a bare bottom breeder would put them off for a bit. I added a fake plant yesterday and today they are cleaning it and the area around it and my female is looking gravid again (thanks to a nice variety I been feeding them of zucchini, high quality flake, bloodworm and live guppy fry)
I'm gonna leave them to do their own thing this time but this is their last chance :p

Here's a pic of their crib. And my females fat belly. Will the bristlenose juveniles be any issue? There are 5 in there.

Attachments

• image-4212211773.jpg
    image-4212211773.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 47
  • image-3691363023.jpg
    image-3691363023.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3534388673.jpg
    image-3534388673.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image-3001863672.jpg
    image-3001863672.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 39
I really don't pay attention to temperature drops when I do a water change, but a 10 percent change drops the temperature safely and temporarily enough to stimulate spawning for my breeding pairs. Your female is definitely ready.

Stop trying to fix everything! If they spawned once, more than likely they will do it again. Just keep everything in good conditions. Tampering with tank parameters might screw this all up. You can't "do" anything to make angels spawn. A good water change helps but it takes good tank conditions to make them spawn. Of my 13 angels, they spawn prob. once a week; tho the eggs get eaten before morning. Once eggs moved into separate tank, do like a 25% water change everyday. If they do hatch, hope you have a plan on what to feed the baby fry...

Fresh brine shrimp hatchery my friend :)
And thankyou, I have just left them now. Lol. Keeping parameters the same and waiting for the best. One weird thing I've noticed is my angel pair seems easily scared latey. Last two or three days. Skitty would be another word for them. Any ideas what could cause this?

The rationale behind water changes is not just about water purification (ie - removing nitrates from the water). A cold water change simulates the seasonal temperature changes which they would experience in their natural habitat. That is partly what stimulates the pairs to breed, as long as the other pieces of the puzzle are taken care of. I currently breed angelfish and bred discus for many years,, and can say with certainty that the water change is a definite spawning trigger.

Yes but are becoming very fussy. The female almost jumps out of the water for bloodworm, they also steal the bristlenoses sprunella/algae wafers and live guppy fry are the only other thing they are interested in. I have high quality flake but they won't touch it now for two days

Back
Top Bottom