Apistogramma cacatuoides eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i noticed that they had laid eggs in the plastic pipe i put in the tank,and i was very gentle and gave a small water change has the water was yuk. about 15 mins later i noticed the eggs were gone. I have looked every where and cant seem to find them. I take it they must have eatten the egss, it was all so quick. In future do i make sure i wait for them to catch or what? Any advise would be great, thanks alot.

You stressed the parents and they ate the eggs. You don't need to do water changes until a few days after the eggs have hatched. Apistos are generally good parents, leave them alone next time.

Gee i feel really bad now that thats why they ate the eggs, they had already breed twice before i got them. The rfirst time they ate the eggs the next time they hatched and all was good, then this time well i stuffed up.....
How often do they spawn, i know this time i will just let them be. I have been feeding them frozen brime shrimp is this ok. thank you for your advise

I have a trio of cacs and one of the females has eaten every spawn(5) so far and it is usually a week and ahalf to two weeks between he spawns probably due to the huge shot of protein she gets from eating the eggs, otherwise it should be about every three weeks.

Hi,

My two females and one male are now living in my busy community planted tank. The older female has just laid her first set of egg's in this tank right in the middle of the open "grassy plains" bit. Basically the busiest part of the tank.

Usually the females would use the breeding caves in the old breeder tank but in the new tank she has actually dug a pit in the substrate about two inchs down below the tips of the dwarf soft rush.

She's old enough and wise enough not to munch her eggs thou, she has just survived one of my EI enforced 50% water changes without even moving.

Best Regards,

John

Back
Top Bottom