breeding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi
i am looking to breed some cichlids in a small tank either neolamprologus leluepi or neolamprologus brichardi or neolamprologus daffodil. i was wondering how to keep the water oxygenated as there will be no plants, also if i buy a pair of about 5cm how long will it take for them to before they spawn, and how long the babies need to be alive before they can be sold. also the tank i have has undergravel filtration is this ok, what are the benefits/negatives of this filtration. which substrate should i use aswell. are there any pointers you guys can give me
thanks
jack
ps i will buy another tank to rais the fry in what kind of tank should i buy?

First, you will need to research the needs of each fish. Also look around your area and see which fish is worth breeding. Since you want to sell them, you may find out that since some fish are easy to breed, they are not worth much to an LFS owner.
how long the babies need to be alive before they can be sold
Depends on who's buying them.
Any filtration system will oxygenate the water.

The Birchardi will breed at the drop of a hat - mine were in a mixed rift-lake tank and had fry within 12 days :)

It is worth checking what fish will be accepted by local LFS - Brichardi are a very commonly bred fish.

Back
Top Bottom