Breeding Crappie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dagger564

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wondering if anyone's attempted breeding crappie in aquriums and what their results were, I can barley find any information on it but what I do know is

- Compressed Winter using light timer on 18 hours, and temperature control
- Diet of protien heavy live foods
- Tempature around 77

That's as much as I know, I have 2, 75 gallon tanks, 1, 55 gallon and 1, 45 gallon, tanks I can dedicate to this I have growlights on the 55 so it accumulates algae and thinking of putting daphina in a 20 gallon so if the crappie do breed I can transfer the fry into the 55 and introduce the daphina a couple previous so they have plenty of food.

I currently have 4 crappie all above 6 inches but I've got no idea on how tell their gender so I hope their not all male or female.
Any input would be great thanks guys

Not personally bred these. But...

Pretty sure you would need much larger stock tanks with a couple hundred gallons for the adults. Presuming those are 4' tanks that doesn't seem like much room to live. Maybe for breeding. These things can get 3-5 pounds each though.

Do you know if you have White or Black Crappie? If you do want to breed them, make sure you have the same type.

Daphnia eat algae cells like in green water, which you can make and feed them. Worms would be a good food source. You could start some vermiculture /vermicomposting. White worms for babies.

Not personally bred these. But...

Pretty sure you would need much larger stock tanks with a couple hundred gallons for the adults. Presuming those are 4' tanks that doesn't seem like much room to live. Maybe for breeding. These things can get 3-5 pounds each though.

Do you know if you have White or Black Crappie? If you do want to breed them, make sure you have the same type.

Daphnia eat algae cells like in green water, which you can make and feed them. Worms would be a good food source. You could start some vermiculture /vermicomposting. White worms for babies.
I think they have plenty of room, there only 4 and there 6ft tanks it's spacious with them in there, 75 gallon is pretty big for an aquarium.

And they are white crappie.

I'm thinking of actually raising guppies in the 55, I think I could raise 100's in a tank that size to feed the crappie. I'd just put the daphina in a 45 gallon tank instead.

Back
Top Bottom