Bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toon.inc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently wanting to breed bristlenose I have the tank setup and 8 in there. Any info would be great as this is my first time. I know how to tell the sexs apart but that's it.

Attachments

• image-1399213642.jpg
    image-1399213642.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 99
Doesn't look bad. Drift wood is suggested and many times they prefer at least some currant. A diet of meaty foods as well as algea/ veggie based meals will fatten them up for breeding.

i breed them and i suggest putting one male and 2 female in a tank. add a hang on the back over flow filter for current. and lay a flat rock about 4 inch by 4 inch on the bottom. dig a hole in the gravel under it. keep temp at 80 and do cool 25% water changes every 2 days. i feed mine sinking cichlid pellets and algea wafers and green beans. with in 2 weeks u will have eggs if they are ready to breed. and 5 days later they will hatch. pm me with any ?

Ok tyvm for info. I am feeding them only algae waffers ATM and there is a tiny bit of current from the filter. I will go and get some rock and put it in there this arvo as well.

For a start, the tank looks too small for breeding much of anything. I'd recommend at least a 30 long for a pair, 40 breeder for a trio. Average spawn size for a young female is 50, up to 100 for a large, mature female, amd once they start they'll keep at it for a number of broods before taking a break as long as they're fed and maintained properly. IME it's best to leave the fry in the tank until they reach at least 1", and a couple growing broods will overcrowd a small tank much too quickly.
Otherwise, good filtration amd fast-growing live plants (I use Najas and duckweed) to help maintain water quality between changes. I feed mine NLS Grow pellets as their staple diet, occasionally spirulina flakes, and canned green beans once weekly to help maintain their digestive tracts. Other veggies are also usable, but with multiple tanks full of them the canned beans are easier to work with. French cut are best, they sink on their own and are usually completely gone by the next morning, any leftovers by that evening.

Back
Top Bottom