Chinese algae eater pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moon Siren

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm not sure if the eater is pregnant or not...
It could be just fat. But it seems it gained weight really fast. I got the fish a few weeks ago. Now it's so fat it can hardly suck on the glass. (The fish is still acting normal and all my other fish are healthy.)

Attachments

• 103_0087.jpg
    103_0087.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 656
  • 103_0088.jpg
    103_0088.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,315
looks bloated to me. isolate it if you can, i try to have a hospital tank ready @ all times... if not, just dont feed the tank for a day, and feed peas, shelled, and blanched, the next day... i put 2 in a little water and microwave them for a couple minutes, then drain them, and pour cold water on them to cool quickly, and peal the outer part of, and mash/cut up the inside parts... it will act like a laxative and help with the bloating, which is usually caused by constipation...

Moon Siren said:
I'm not sure if the eater is pregnant or not...
It could be just fat. But it seems it gained weight really fast. I got the fish a few weeks ago. Now it's so fat it can hardly suck on the glass. (The fish is still acting normal and all my other fish are healthy.)

The chances of a CAE being pregnant in captivity are slim to none from what I've researched. I would isolate him/her if possible.

Yikes. Looks like dropsy. You could try separating the fish and treating with maracyn plus. This is the only medication I have used that has been successful at treating dropsy. Dropsy is not a disease but rather a symptom that could be caused by a number of things such as organ failure or a bacterial infection. I would test the water just to be sure that you are not detecting any ammonia or nitrite and maybe check to see if your nitrates are very high. I see that you have some goldfish in there. They produce a ton of waste and could be causing your levels to be toxic. Also Chinese algae eaters can be nasty fish when they get bigger. How big is your tank by the way?

Back
Top Bottom