Dwarf gourami male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like to know if my gourami is male or female and how do you tell? Also an info on breeding them would be great! Could I breed them in this tank 10 gallon planted with 8 neon tetras ramshorn and pond snails as tank mates.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406344208225.jpg
    1406344208225.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 1406344224244.jpg
    1406344224244.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1406344235736.jpg
    1406344235736.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 65
I say male too. Male DG's tend to be a little brighter red and that one seems pretty red.

Any other way to tell other then color? I was thinking about getting a different kind of dwarf gourami for this guy? Or should I breed the same type of gourami? Is it bad to cross them?

The females have smaller rounded dorsal fins normally. Get another dwarf. It doesn't have to be the same color morph though. Also it can be hard to find female dwarfs

You should look for a drabber looking one (hopefully a female XD) and they will get along swimmingly!

DG's do well with almost everything. But shrimp. No good with shrimp or bettas. Another DG would be okay though.

Every one has such different experiences. My baby shrimp used to punk my dg for food! But they fought with each other (2 males in a 29 tall is a bad idea)

Sent from my iPhone

Ok thanks for all the great info I hope I can find a nice female for my guy maybe a flame or honey:)

They don't sell females in chain pet stores like Petco/Petsmart as far as I know. Not sure why. Maybe people don't buy dull brown fish (females).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom