Electric yellow+jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler2354

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can an electric yellow and JD mate? The EY is the female and there are two JDs in the tank that are males. I have a male yellow lab in another tank I am considering putting both the yellows together

For the yellows there should be three females for one male to cut down on aggression

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree I'm just trying to get the eggs fertilized. Can a JD and elec yellow mate??

The main question is why would you possibly want to even try this?

Electric yellow are from Malawi in eastern Africa. They are mouth brooders, and are harem breeders.

Jack Dempsey are from Central America. They are substrate/cave spawners, and breed in pairs.

Fry between these wouldn't be viable (they wouldn't survive at all)

Just a bit of information. You really shouldn't have those two fish together. They probably work for now as they are both juveniles. Electric Yellows are mbunas and mbunas a highly aggressive very active fish. They will compete with the JD for territory as they are both cave dwellers. If the JD is juvie they will terrorize him resulting and stress than death. If the JD is larger than the yellow labs then the JD will kill the Labs. Either way it wont work out well.

Yea I know this. They are in my dads tank and I can't tell him anything. But I will try to make arrangements to get it out of there and put him in my ALL African tank.
Ps. She (el yellow) was by herself in his tank, meaning no other Africans in there, and I was just making nothing else could fertilize those eggs

Right, because I've got a yellow lab female and I'm almost positive my large male albino zebra fertilized her first batch of eggs instead of the male yellow lab I have

Yea I think my male red zebra fertilizes any mbuna female in the tank haha

Back
Top Bottom