feeding newborn red crystal shrimps (RCS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What do you feed newborn rcs? Can you feed them powdered pellets, or something home made? Algae from a rock? My pregnant shrimp is in a fertility net, and i added moss that have algae on it for cover, she is soon to be a mother?

1) You don't have to keep her in a breeder trap (unless she's in a tank with fish) If they're in a species only tank (shrimp only) the shrimplettes will be fine.

2) They don't eat anything different than their parents: crushed flake, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, fresh algae off plants/decor.

1) You don't have to keep her in a breeder trap (unless she's in a tank with fish) If they're in a species only tank (shrimp only) the shrimplettes will be fine.

2) They don't eat anything different than their parents: crushed flake, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, fresh algae off plants/decor.

Thank you very much. Now i know what to do. i will sleep better now. ^_^

1) I do have fish in my aquarium, i have 9 adult Neon tetra.

otos don't eat shrimps.......prob. the neons, or they are hiding..........

so, RCS stands for Red cherry shrimps which r red

and CRS stands for crystal red shrimp which are red and white

The neons definitely would eat both mom and shrimplettes. I have my RCS in with otos and pygmy corys and nobody bothers anybody else.

I also just leave the shrimp in the tank with java moss and lots of cover and before you know it, you have little shrimplets running around. Pretty cool.

Most fish will eat shrimplets. The adults should be fine with guppies.

How could I protect the shrimplets? What about putting lots of java moss on the bottom? I've got a little tiki house they could hide in and a couple pieces of driftwood. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Some young may survive. Guppies are the type that poke around everywhere in search of food though.

Some young may survive. Guppies are the type that poke around everywhere in search of food though.
Yeah you're right! You know their behavior very well.

The best way is to remove the fish, but adding moss will help some.
Can't really remove the guppies. I don't have anywhere else to put them at this point in time.

Back
Top Bottom