fish parenting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Bailey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all! I was just wondering if there is any type of fish that actually protects their eggs/fry, as opposed to eating them immediately. Thanks for your replies!

Blue rams although from experience you may lose a few batches because the parents decided to eat them. Eventually you get a good caring pair that protect their offspring.

Kribs (Kribensis) also similar to the above.

Its been a while since I've bred these fish so someone else will be able to chime in on your question.

I'm not sure about the cichlids. I've got semi- peaceful fish at the moment. It sucks that they're so aggressive. I really like them :/ but that's really cool to know. Thanks!

The keyholes are like most cichlids and will care for their eggs. Again, the first spawn or two they might eat their eggs. That's pretty normal with most cichlids I have raised. More so with rams and angels though.

My jack dempsy (chiclids) are great parents! At a certain time tho i read they will turn on them so you have to know when to remove them. Mine were fine for a couple of months they took very good care of the fry.

Back
Top Bottom