Fry in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burrhubb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My guppy gave birth to 20ish fry today. I have got her and fry in breeding tank at the mo. How do you know if she has finished giving birth?
I am looking at a diy fry tank to set up. As money is an issue at the mo and can't afford another tank or filters.

Seen can use clear see through storage boxes. Great. I have a spare heater. Any ideas how to make an filter suitable for fry? Also if I use water from tank some gravel (not much though) does it need to go through cycle process? Should I start off with diy filter in main tank.
My concern is I'm going away next week so need something sorting before then.

I did think of a divider in main tank fry one side fish other. But all the ones I've seen fry will get through. All my fish will eat fry and really want to try my best in keeping them!

Please give me as much info as poss please.
Thank u

Hi. You could use an old milk container, cut it in half and secure it to the side of the tank with some algae magnets(glass cleaners). You can use any plastic container really. Food containers are good(new). The milk containers is probably the cheapest option. Whatever you use, make sure you give it a good rinse with hot water. Punch some tiny holes in it with a heated pin. A breeding net would probably be best though, better circulation. The only problem I find with the nets is, the fry can sometimes get trapped underneath the plastic frame.....

Back
Top Bottom