Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #341
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
AC-X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post

I don't know about separating just the female into the 5 gal. IMO I would put a lot of plants(fake/real) and decor for the fry to hide in. leave the momma fish to do her thing in the main tank. Around the time you think fry will be coming, I would put something over the filter intake(sponge or pantyhose) so that the fry won't get sucked up before you can save them. Use the 5 gal. as a fry tank with lots of places to hide and have something over the filter tank to prevent suction of fry. All I have is a 1gal. with an under gravel filter for my fry. If I had a 5 gal. I would do what I just stated. I hope this helps.
What I'm planning to do is to add a pre filter mesh, add lots of fake plants, and after the momma fish gives birth put her back in the 20 gallon so she won't eat the fry.
__________________

__________________
||
|_________|
AC-X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #342
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post

What I'm planning to do is to add a pre filter mesh, add lots of fake plants, and after the momma fish gives birth put her back in the 20 gallon so she won't eat the fry.
Sounds like it should work. Like I said I don't know about moving the female. Some one else might be able to chime in on whether it wil stress her out too much or not. The way I see it thought is it never hurts to try. Good luck and take some pictures when they come. All of us would love to see the little guys, as well as your set up for them.

FRESHWATERASHLEY: how are your little guys doing?

Leatherback: do you still have your fry in the 1 gal.?
__________________

__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #343
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
AC-X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post

Sounds like it should work. Like I said I don't know about moving the female. Some one else might be able to chime in on whether it wil stress her out too much or not. The way I see it thought is it never hurts to try. Good luck and take some pictures when they come. All of us would love to see the little guys, as well as your set up for them.

FRESHWATERASHLEY: how are your little guys doing?

Leatherback: do you still have your fry in the 1 gal.?
Thanks for the help! I will post some pics when they come!
__________________
||
|_________|
AC-X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #344
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Speaking of pics! Here are my fry at 3 1/2 weeks. They got big faster then I thought they would!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2227312467.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	185169   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2652071986.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	185170  

__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #345
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
AC-X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post
Speaking of pics! Here are my fry at 3 1/2 weeks. They got big faster then I thought they would!
Cool! What kind are they?
__________________
||
|_________|
AC-X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #346
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post

Cool! What kind are they?
They are fancy guppies. A black/blue and silver.
__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #347
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
AC-X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post

They are fancy guppies. A black/blue and silver.
Very nice!
__________________
||
|_________|
AC-X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #348
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
When do your guppy fry start getting colors? I have some 5 1/2 week olds that are just starting to show a tiny hint of color in the tails.
__________________
fishfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #349
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post
Speaking of pics! Here are my fry at 3 1/2 weeks. They got big faster then I thought they would!
Three and a half? Everyone's fry are growing fast except mine! Lol
__________________
fishfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #350
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
JacobThomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post

Three and a half? Everyone's fry are growing fast except mine! Lol
What are you feeding? Mine are 2 and a half weeks, I don't have any color yet either!
__________________
JacobThomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #351
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post

Three and a half? Everyone's fry are growing fast except mine! Lol
What are you feeding and how often? What do you have them housed in?
__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #352
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
So yesterday noticed I had lost another fry. I have lost 3 slowly I've the last 3 weeks. No bodies anywhere so I'm assuming my shrimp are doing their jobs, but I have no idea why the fry are dropping. Thinking about moving the remainders into the main tank in a well or so as long as I don't lose any more.
__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #353
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post
So yesterday noticed I had lost another fry. I have lost 3 slowly I've the last 3 weeks. No bodies anywhere so I'm assuming my shrimp are doing their jobs, but I have no idea why the fry are dropping. Thinking about moving the remainders into the main tank in a well or so as long as I don't lose any more.
Tonight I watched and found that my shrimp have been eating my little guys. I am getting rid of the shrimp and getting a snail or two for the fry tank. Super depressed.... On a good note my momma fish dropped today right when I wanted her to. I saved 12 so far. I have out more decorations in the main tank for any other survivors to hide in. Will probably add some more before too long
__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #354
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post

Tonight I watched and found that my shrimp have been eating my little guys. I am getting rid of the shrimp and getting a snail or two for the fry tank. Super depressed.... On a good note my momma fish dropped today right when I wanted her to. I saved 12 so far. I have out more decorations in the main tank for any other survivors to hide in. Will probably add some more before too long
What kind of shrimp is it?
__________________
Alba Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #355
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Otto View Post

What kind of shrimp is it?
I had ghost shrimp. I had heard they were a little more aggressive after I had gotten them. Tried making sure they were well fed but it didn't work. Gonna get snails for my fry tank next time.
__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #356
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post

I had ghost shrimp. I had heard they were a little more aggressive after I had gotten them. Tried making sure they were well fed but it didn't work. Gonna get snails for my fry tank next time.
Yeah snails would be better for a fry tank, I had to remove an Armano shrimp as it kept going for my full size cory!
__________________
Alba Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #357
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bob mccoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,441
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - bob mccoy's Album: my angelfish - Picture
__________________
bob mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #358
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
freshwaterashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherback1 View Post
I have a problem.In my one gallon my fry are getting bigger.Big enough to produce enough waste that it is visible on the gravel.There are 10 of them and they are all about 1 month old.I was wondering if I could add some to the main tank? They still look small enough to be eaten.
You should prolly get them into a bigger tank
__________________
freshwaterashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #359
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
freshwaterashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post

Sounds like it should work. Like I said I don't know about moving the female. Some one else might be able to chime in on whether it wil stress her out too much or not. The way I see it thought is it never hurts to try. Good luck and take some pictures when they come. All of us would love to see the little guys, as well as your set up for them.

FRESHWATERASHLEY: how are your little guys doing?

Leatherback: do you still have your fry in the 1 gal.?
My little guys are doing great. Sorry that I have not posted in a very long time I am in the middle of moving and things have been very hectic lately but I will post pics very soon of my guys um I they are all about a month old now maybe a little to a few days older all getting big some of the copies have color I can see that one has spots of all different colors black red blue and it still has a pretty white outline some of my parties are bigger than others which kind of confuses me because they are all from the same litter some or lighter and some are darker. when I get pics you can see what I mean I also have a new batch of about 6 that survived in the main tank. they are guppies from the same mother as the guppies I have now. from what I can see I only have 2 male guppies and the rest are females but I cannot yet tell the sex of my platies. does anyone know how long it takes to be able to sex platies?at this time they are all a month old.
__________________
freshwaterashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #360
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post
What are you feeding and how often? What do you have them housed in?
They're in a 7 1/2 gallon and I'm feeding this powder fry food... Not sure of the name but my betta pellets are the same brand if that helps at all :P I feed twice a day.
__________________

__________________
fishfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.