fry lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well actually my tank is already a bit overstocked as it is but after the summer most of my fish will be going back their original owner and I will be able to add the fry(which will be big enough by then).

If you can get some heavy root feeding floaters they will help with water quality... frogbit and duckweed with some moss is what i have in my gup grow tank...

If you can get some heavy root feeding floaters they will help with water quality... frogbit and duckweed with some moss is what i have in my gup grow tank...

Well I plan on buying some java moss and will add it to guppy fry tank

more room for babies

try getting some plastic storage bins from walmarts and adding heater and filter till they get big enough for tank

try getting some plastic storage bins from walmarts and adding heater and filter till they get big enough for tank

I have an undergravel filter,but I don't think there are heaters for 1g tanks are there?

I have an undergravel filter,but I don't think there are heaters for 1g tanks are there?

I have a "small tank" heater in my 1 gal. 1 gal. Tanks are really ment to have a heater in them so it takes some DIY work to get one in. I had to cut another hole in my hood to get the cord through

frylovers more tank space

I meant get some of the storage bins so you could have bigger space for the growing fry you can find them as small as a few gallons to over 30 gallons that roll

My babies eating artemia fresh hatched ... There ages from 4 hours to 3 days or more i just separate any big fry from those young babies...

Attachments

• image-3158698841.jpg
    image-3158698841.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image-540711076.jpg
    image-540711076.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1063636241.jpg
    image-1063636241.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 57
ok so my guppy fry have finally started getting there colors and they are all males except one i believe is female and i traded two for two male they r beautiful!!!!!

ok so my guppy fry have finally started getting there colors and they are all males except one i believe is female and i traded two for two male they r beautiful!!!!!

Congrats! You should post a pic I them! We would all love to see how they look.

My first batch of guppy fry was born last night. I managed to grab 5 of them, and they're SO cute!

My Platys hatched some fry a few nights ago, but they all got sucked up by the filter! ;(
That happened when my guppies had fry too.

Congrats Frostshine!! We would all love to see some pics as soon as you can!

Wyatt: did this all happen in your main tank? Sorry to hear about the loss.

So my guppy fry are just over 2 weeks old now! When should I take them out of the net and put into main tank? When should I expect to see colors? Thanks

So my guppy fry are just over 2 weeks old now! When should I take them out of the net and put into main tank? When should I expect to see colors? Thanks

Rule of thumb for adding them to main tank is; bigger then the mouth of the biggest fish In the tank. My fry are about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks old right now, I could probably put mine in my main tank but I'm going to hold off for a bit. They also started getting most of there color last week. A good average for color is about a month.

Rule of thumb for adding them to main tank is; bigger then the mouth of the biggest fish In the tank. My fry are about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks old right now, I could probably put mine in my main tank but I'm going to hold off for a bit. They also started getting most of there color last week. A good average for color is about a month.

Okay that's great, thanks!

Yeah some of my guppy fry are beginning to show some color and they are about 1 1/2 months old.

Congrats Frostshine!! We would all love to see some pics as soon as you can!

Wyatt: did this all happen in your main tank? Sorry to hear about the loss.

Yes, I only had one tank at the time and the fish was pregnant when I got it and I didn't know it. My other Platy is pregnant too, I'm gonna buy a net to separate the fry from the filter. Now I have a 20 gallon tank set up and I still have my old 5 gallon tank too. What would you suggest I do? Should I move the pregnant Platy to the small tank or what? BTW, the Platy gave birth in the night and I didn't have the chance to turn off the filter and when I woke up I found the fry in the filter ;(

Yes, I only had one tank at the time and the fish was pregnant when I got it and I didn't know it. My other Platy is pregnant too, I'm gonna buy a net to separate the fry from the filter. Now I have a 20 gallon tank set up and I still have my old 5 gallon tank too. What would you suggest I do? Should I move the pregnant Platy to the small tank or what? BTW, the Platy gave birth in the night and I didn't have the chance to turn off the filter and when I woke up I found the fry in the filter ;(

I don't know about separating just the female into the 5 gal. IMO I would put a lot of plants(fake/real) and decor for the fry to hide in. leave the momma fish to do her thing in the main tank. Around the time you think fry will be coming, I would put something over the filter intake(sponge or pantyhose) so that the fry won't get sucked up before you can save them. Use the 5 gal. as a fry tank with lots of places to hide and have something over the filter tank to prevent suction of fry. All I have is a 1gal. with an under gravel filter for my fry. If I had a 5 gal. I would do what I just stated. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom