fry lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about separating just the female into the 5 gal. IMO I would put a lot of plants(fake/real) and decor for the fry to hide in. leave the momma fish to do her thing in the main tank. Around the time you think fry will be coming, I would put something over the filter intake(sponge or pantyhose) so that the fry won't get sucked up before you can save them. Use the 5 gal. as a fry tank with lots of places to hide and have something over the filter tank to prevent suction of fry. All I have is a 1gal. with an under gravel filter for my fry. If I had a 5 gal. I would do what I just stated. I hope this helps.

What I'm planning to do is to add a pre filter mesh, add lots of fake plants, and after the momma fish gives birth put her back in the 20 gallon so she won't eat the fry.

What I'm planning to do is to add a pre filter mesh, add lots of fake plants, and after the momma fish gives birth put her back in the 20 gallon so she won't eat the fry.

Sounds like it should work. Like I said I don't know about moving the female. Some one else might be able to chime in on whether it wil stress her out too much or not. The way I see it thought is it never hurts to try. Good luck and take some pictures when they come. All of us would love to see the little guys, as well as your set up for them.

FRESHWATERASHLEY: how are your little guys doing?

Leatherback: do you still have your fry in the 1 gal.?

Sounds like it should work. Like I said I don't know about moving the female. Some one else might be able to chime in on whether it wil stress her out too much or not. The way I see it thought is it never hurts to try. Good luck and take some pictures when they come. All of us would love to see the little guys, as well as your set up for them.

Thanks for the help! I will post some pics when they come!

Speaking of pics! Here are my fry at 3 1/2 weeks. They got big faster then I thought they would!

Attachments

• image-2227312467.jpg
    image-2227312467.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2652071986.jpg
    image-2652071986.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 47
When do your guppy fry start getting colors? I have some 5 1/2 week olds that are just starting to show a tiny hint of color in the tails.

So yesterday noticed I had lost another fry. I have lost 3 slowly I've the last 3 weeks. No bodies anywhere so I'm assuming my shrimp are doing their jobs, but I have no idea why the fry are dropping. Thinking about moving the remainders into the main tank in a well or so as long as I don't lose any more.

So yesterday noticed I had lost another fry. I have lost 3 slowly I've the last 3 weeks. No bodies anywhere so I'm assuming my shrimp are doing their jobs, but I have no idea why the fry are dropping. Thinking about moving the remainders into the main tank in a well or so as long as I don't lose any more.

Tonight I watched and found that my shrimp have been eating my little guys. I am getting rid of the shrimp and getting a snail or two for the fry tank. Super depressed.... On a good note my momma fish dropped today right when I wanted her to. I saved 12 so far. I have out more decorations in the main tank for any other survivors to hide in. Will probably add some more before too long

Tonight I watched and found that my shrimp have been eating my little guys. I am getting rid of the shrimp and getting a snail or two for the fry tank. Super depressed.... On a good note my momma fish dropped today right when I wanted her to. I saved 12 so far. I have out more decorations in the main tank for any other survivors to hide in. Will probably add some more before too long

What kind of shrimp is it?

I had ghost shrimp. I had heard they were a little more aggressive after I had gotten them. Tried making sure they were well fed but it didn't work. Gonna get snails for my fry tank next time.

Yeah snails would be better for a fry tank, I had to remove an Armano shrimp as it kept going for my full size cory!

I have a problem.In my one gallon my fry are getting bigger.Big enough to produce enough waste that it is visible on the gravel.There are 10 of them and they are all about 1 month old.I was wondering if I could add some to the main tank? They still look small enough to be eaten.

You should prolly get them into a bigger tank

My little guys are doing great. Sorry that I have not posted in a very long time I am in the middle of moving and things have been very hectic lately but I will post pics very soon of my guys um I they are all about a month old now maybe a little to a few days older all getting big some of the copies have color I can see that one has spots of all different colors black red blue and it still has a pretty white outline some of my parties are bigger than others which kind of confuses me because they are all from the same litter some or lighter and some are darker. when I get pics you can see what I mean I also have a new batch of about 6 that survived in the main tank. they are guppies from the same mother as the guppies I have now. from what I can see I only have 2 male guppies and the rest are females but I cannot yet tell the sex of my platies. does anyone know how long it takes to be able to sex platies?at this time they are all a month old.

What are you feeding and how often? What do you have them housed in?
They're in a 7 1/2 gallon and I'm feeding this powder fry food... Not sure of the name but my betta pellets are the same brand if that helps at all :p I feed twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom