Fry tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a new 10 g for my balloon Molly fry. I put gravel from my big tank in. Put a little filter and heater in. Put fresh water in. So can I just put the babies in now???

It needs to be cycled technically... The gravel hopefully did that.. I'd put them in and test the water and then if ammonia spiked.. either get them out or just change the water frequently.

Ok il have to do checks on the water. I added a couple fake plants and some filter media from my 46g and thts been cycled for a yr and there's only about 8 babies so I think they should b ok. But I'm expecting another batch of fry soon. How long should I wait to add them?

Start feeding the tank like the babies are in there, and then test the water for a few days. If no ammonia spike, then you're good to go. If ammonia becomes detectable, you have to cycle the tank first.

I agree with the others, the seeding most likely did most of the cycling for you however with new fry, even the slightest bit of amonia and nitrites could kill them.... GL

Back
Top Bottom