Gold severums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a problem I have 2 gold severums 1 is small and 1 is quite big they are a pair and produced fertile eggs which then got eaten :/

But now I have seen for the past day that my big female severum is getting ready to lay eggs at it's spawn site but the smaller one is always there kinda guarding it and when the female comes about it starts nipping at it sort of thing....why is that? They were fine before.
Anything I can do to stop them doing so and carry on breeding?

Thanks for your help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if no one is getting hurt leave them alone
if you want babies now remove the eggs with what there layed on and put them in a small tank or large jar (1 gal +) with an air stone blowing light bubbles on them , it should be filled with water from the tank so it matchs and some methyl blue to stop fungus
youn will need very small food to feed them when the hatch and finish there yolk sack
green water , newly hatched brine shrimp vinger worms or my favorite micro worms
both worms will live in fresh water at least 24 hours so they are there for the fry to eat all day and will not pollute the water , they aRE Both very easy to raise

if no one is getting hurt leave them alone
if you want babies now remove the eggs with what there layed on and put them in a small tank or large jar (1 gal +) with an air stone blowing light bubbles on them , it should be filled with water from the tank so it matchs and some methyl blue to stop fungus
youn will need very small food to feed them when the hatch and finish there yolk sack
green water , newly hatched brine shrimp vinger worms or my favorite micro worms
both worms will live in fresh water at least 24 hours so they are there for the fry to eat all day and will not pollute the water , they aRE Both very easy to raise

Hi thanks for the advice.
I think the small one has a damaged fin from the fighting this morning :/
That's the thing they haven't laid any eggs yet they are getting ready to but the small one doesn't let the female near the breeding site and starts nipping at it or something....I don't know what to do

Also say if I do get hatched eggs could I not feed them finely crushed flake food?

you could try crush flakes it sometimes works but severum fry have very small mouths
and so fry need the movement of the food to know to eat it , live food works best , it also does not pollute the water as fast as the flakes will
I would start a foam filter in your main tank so you can use it in the tank with the fry , it will also help feed the fry with microorganisms

you could try crush flakes it sometimes works but severum fry have very small mouths
and so fry need the movement of the food to know to eat it , live food works best , it also does not pollute the water as fast as the flakes will
I would start a foam filter in your main tank so you can use it in the tank with the fry , it will also help feed the fry with microorganisms

Hmm ok i'll try that next time when hatch.
Yeah I already have another tank running which currently has Molly fry in it right now and I'm feeding them crushed flake food and they seem to be eating all but very slowly though...

Also do you have any advice for my severum pair and what to do about them?

Anyone answer my question please?

Try google. Maybe you'll get some tips on the 100s of sites out there. Only advice I have on this.

Try google. Maybe you'll get some tips on the 100s of sites out there. Only advice I have on this.

Seeing as you don't want to help me it's fine don't reply then and don't you think I have already googled it?
I google stuff before I come on here to ask for advice

No I don't think you do, when you point blank say your not willing to read wiggles at last ( example), only says you want to breed but have someone tell you what to do without doing any leg work. Wigglers is 132 pages packed full of most all info you need. Over the past 3 days I have seen you question how to breed and what to do with the fry with 3 different fish. You have livebreeders and egg layers. IMO your getting in to far to deep way to fast. Where are you going to put these babies, ask yourself if you have the time, dedication and the financial means to breed this many fish. These are things I have gotten from your post over the past few days, I'm surprised that I am the only one who cares enough to suggest you slow down and enjoy your fish. But hey it's only me and my opinion and I will bow out now as you don't want to hear that you should do a lot of research. Good luck and btw I hope you have a spare room for the 10+ tanks you will need by breeding these 3 fish. Peace.

Do a small rearrangement. Move the site your male is guarding. If she ready to lay shell find a suitable place. Im thinking your male is confussed and doesnt realize hes not guarding any babies.

Do a small rearrangement. Move the site your male is guarding. If she ready to lay shell find a suitable place. Im thinking your male is confussed and doesnt realize hes not guarding any babies.

Hmm thanks a lot I got home and found they laid eggs so maybe next time when they do that i'll change it around.
Also seeing as they just laid their eggs how can I protect them because last time they laid eggs they got eaten after I turned the lights off and checked in the morning so what can I do about that?

1 remove the eggs from the tank
are there any other fish in the tank catfish will eat the eggs at night
if you can't move the eggs you could put a divider in the tank to keep the parents away from the eggs and fry
most cichlids will eat there first few batches till they learn not to

1 remove the eggs from the tank
are there any other fish in the tank catfish will eat the eggs at night
if you can't move the eggs you could put a divider in the tank to keep the parents away from the eggs and fry
most cichlids will eat there first few batches till they learn not to

They have laid eggs on a castle i mean i could take it and put it into another tank but then the eggs wont get looked after properly.
yeah i do have other fishes has they laid their eggs in the community tank but i have no catfish.
Thats the thing i dont have a divider :/
yeah i think they have been through a few batches.
Also do you know how long before you can tell if the eggs are fertilised or not?
because if they are fertilised then i think the colour of the eggs should be yellowish

Back
Top Bottom