Got Guppies? ( breeding babbies in 16 gal w/ net)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

general tzao

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
as said in the description i got about 50 new tiny guppies.. about half are in the breader net and the other half are just stroling around the tank, anyway, i got that "first bites" baby fish food and have been feeding it to them for about 3 days now at 2-3 times a day.. and, ofcourse... my tank now smells like a fermented sailor. question 1... how often should i change the water? 2... is it ok if i dont vacume since there are babbies loose? and 3 ... sholud i use an alternitive food or am i using way too much / too often? PS i also have the big guppies in the tank.. i dont mind if i loose a few that arent in the net... should i have a seperate 2.5 gal for the babies due to the food contamination? ( stupid question huh??) i ment can i get away without doing it since im kinda in a lazy winter mood for now and i need to spend some time with my hunny...

Well the baby guppies should be fine in the tank with the adults as long as they have lots of hidding places. I would keep feeding the babies 2-3 times daily as they are growing and need their food, but don't overfeed them. Just give them a little at a time, its better to feed them small amounts many times a day than huge amounts less times.
As for the stink from the food, I suggest partial water changes at least once per week if not twice. Don't worry too much about the gravel vac sucking the babies up just move it around carefully and you won't have any problems but I would continue to vac the gravel. Yes guppies are notorious for being curious and will try to swim in the way of the vac but even if they do take a ride they won't get hurt, just scoope em up and put them back in the tank. Because of this I suggest vacing the dirty water into pails then disposing of the water.
I have found that this works best with my adult and baby guppies living together.

I use sand in all my tanks. I have had no problem. If you are worried about vacing up too much sand I would suggest buying your sand in the large bags that are for kids sandbox use. Thats what I use and it is super cheap and totally sterile, just be sure to rinse it really well before adding it to your tank. My fish love to play around and dig in it. :lol:

I did not change my feeding habits to accommodate fry.. (I crushed the flakes more with my fingers)

I did not change my vacuuming habits either. I vacuum as much if not a little more often with the fry present knowing that they are sensitive to water quality. I had one fry in the vacuum tube and he was a month old and he could outswim the sucking of the vacuum.

Congrats on your fry.. Likely you will find yourself up to you armpits in fry and soon you will be wondering what to do with all the fry....

I agree with webmoose. I don't change my regular feeding or maintenance when I have fry. Well, I guess I watch what I'm vaccuuming up a little more closely. And yes, I've seen fry fight the vaccuum and swim out.

I've also never kept fry in a trap or net. Then again, I've never wanted them all to survive - I'd have a hundred by now! LOL

Congrats on your fry!

Back
Top Bottom