gourami breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just recently purchased a "boyfriend" for my female powder blue gourami and put them in a 10g tank with lots of plants but the male doesn't seem too interested in building a nest. The female has even bulged up since they've been together and started following him around. I have the temp around 80-81 and lowered the water level. Does anyone have any suggestions to get this guy in the "mood"???? Thanks in advance

You have to condition the fish beforehand-- keeping them in separate tanks and feeding mainly live foods or nearly-live foods (minced earthworms, etc.) for a few weeks usually works. You also have to use plants that the gourami can utilize for actually stabilizing the nest (i.e. floating plants).

If this is the 10g in your profile with the blue crayfish and the other fish, then it's very likely that your male may not want to breed around them. Keep the breeding species by themselves before and during breeding. Water conditions also have to be excellent for some fish to breed.

Do you have the supplies/foods necessary to raise the fry? Why are you breeding the fish?

they are all alone in their tank..i need to update my profile
they have a couple of floating plants and i do a weekly water change so i'll try seperating them and feed them some more frozen foods. Will the frozen be good enough, i have bloodworms and brine shrimp. I am breeding them for my local fish store whom really wants some females. I was planning on removing the parents and rasing the fry in the ten g with a sponge filter.

IMO, to raise them to a sellable size you will need more than a 10g.

I would really try and get some live foods-- some you should have already, as you will need them to feed the fry. The ones for adults are fairly easy to come by-- just look on Aquabid or around the web for starter cultures if no one right near you sells them.

With just a pair and no dither fish as in a community you must not keep them together except for the spawing...

A dwarf gourami male will viciously maim and kill an unwilling female in small spaces. When there are only two, with most common kept species of gourami; the stronger fish will harrass the other into ill health.
So you need to move her as soon as the deed is done..and CONDITION FIRST.
If she is not nearly bursting in eggs she will play the coquette...or worse for her..refuse outright. Sometimes a female may not like a certain color of morph (my friend downtown has a flame female that will only spawn with neons. And our bettas are that way all the time).
The water where the fry are to be needs to be very gently filtered and about 84 degrees. The water height need to be around 6 inches at max or the fry may drown. And the parameters need to be DEAD ON beofre they are free swimming.
Becuse they are very susceptible to any change in the water for the next two weeks..DON"T mess with it! just use a baster to remove any visible muck and trikle in any water loss through cleaning th same way.
be sure teh tank the fry are in is well covered until week 4-5. During the 3-4th week the labyrinth organ develops and you could lose the whole lot to pneumonia if the air of the surface is cooler than their water by any measurable degree.
you also should remove the male by the 3rd 4th day they are free swmming. Sooner if he exhibits egg eating (not the same as swishing an egg with spit and returning it to the nest..you will see 20= dissapear a day if he begins..DON"T feed bubblenesters BBS as a spawning tool..it develops egg eaters!)
You are best off witha bare bottom tank for easy cleaning and to keep an eye on the fry. At week four start raising the water level up a couple inches per week. And start bumping the temp down at week 6 a degree every few days until they are at the temp an average owner will keep them (77 if they are lucky).

WARNING: Dwarf Gourami fry are THE SMALLEST bubble nester fry excluding some liquorice varieties. They are very very hard to raise
..and females are NOT going to be brightly colored. Most morph females look like wilds with an extra color wash..solid females are not common yet.
And if your male and female are not both powder blues..the colors will muddy and you will get a large portion of wild type coloration (striped).
Live food needs to be up and running BEFORE they are free swimming(day 3-4) or you will lose the first hatchers to fade.
Have meds ready for the female when she is removed form the tank in case he is an especialy aggressive breeder.

Recent case example:My own male killed two females by maiming out of three in a 18 gal custom long and my last was tore up and maybe was healing until an unfortunate incident with some diet coke.
Out of a spawn of nearly 300 I have 2. And I have bred many different labyrinths before, mostly gouramy labyrinths. And have raised an ending numbers no less than 90 with some. Of course some of this spawn, I sacrificed to be food for a pair of royal knife spawn who were egg hitchhikers. But I separated 2 tanks of 30 out to raise. 2 out of 60 when I was home nearly 24/7 is harsh....!

Sound complicated?..how do pros do it? :| 8O :eek:
They have many tanks adn can keep dividing the fry by maturation as needed....they have years in experience with the specific breed. :roll: And of course in asia...the water is already perfect and so are the temps...it is the native region of the animals :roll: They let them self raise in ponds and just skims some out...^_^ And labor for helping hands is CHEAP..even with everything else being equal... 8)

@@@@@@@@ Good Luck! @@@@@@@@

*may return to edit..I am really tired...^_^

Back
Top Bottom