Gravel in container?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sirtastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I want to start a 54l molly breeding tank but I dont know if I should put gravel in the tank or just a few small containers with gravel so I can have some plants. I know that all the way gravel is more work to clean but I realy like plants.

Sir...

Good idea. Makes cleaning the bottom so much easier and you have the benefit of the plants without having to try to vacuum around them. I use small plastic pots with the holes in the bottom. I put an inch of pea sized gravel in the bottom, then two inches of organic potting mixture, I always trim the plant roots to an inch or so and put in the plant. I top off the pot with another inch of the gravel to secure the plant and then ease the pot into the tank. The potting mixture nourishes the plant for several months, then you can use small nutrient tablets. With regular water changes to replenish trace elements, the plants do very well.

B

Go with pots of gravel. Keeps things really tidy if you siphon waste daily and adds micro organizams for fry to eat along with bbs or what ever else you're feeding

Back
Top Bottom