Guppies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay jay

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many time can the female have fry before they need a male again?

They can drop every month and I believe they store the males sperm for 5-6 months. So I'd say 5-6 times.

So it every month they can have fry? That's great to know cuz I've been wondering that cuz I want to mix breed. ( black and red)

So it every month they can have fry? That's great to know cuz I've been wondering that cuz I want to mix breed. ( black and red)

if you want healthy guppies, i would suggest ordering some and not getting pet store guppies to breed. they are already inbred and will likely have fry with disabilities

Mine usually hold sperm packets for about 4 months but they can hold up to 8.
You'd probably have Better luck grabbing a female fry from the color you want and making sure she stays virgin to breed to the dad. Atleast it's faster that way.
You'd have to separate early, around 2-3 weeks/as soon as you can determine sex because as soon as they are sexable, they will start breeding an the females will hold sperm packets until they are large enough to hold fry.

Mine usually hold sperm packets for about 4 months but they can hold up to 8.
You'd probably have Better luck grabbing a female fry from the color you want and making sure she stays virgin to breed to the dad. Atleast it's faster that way.
You'd have to separate early, around 2-3 weeks/as soon as you can determine sex because as soon as they are sexable, they will start breeding an the females will hold sperm packets until they are large enough to hold fry.

I did not know that

Back
Top Bottom