Guppy acting like she is in labor but still no babies?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
My guppy has been showing her usual signs of going into labor. She will lay under my java moss and act like she is in labor. Any other time she would of had them already! Can anyone explain to me what her problem may be?

First, the behavior you describe is not normal at all. She should remain active when giving birth. That would lead me to believe she has issues with the birth canal. She may have an obstruction. If so as she gets older and larger so will the number of fry. That said, at some point she may be too stuffed and blocked up to pass the fry.

I have gotten them to go by chasing them around with a net a few times. It will make health livebearers miscarry. Hope that helps and Happy Holidays.

How much linger until birth?

How long would you give my guppy until she gives birth? You can see how black her gravid spot is! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387858893.485978.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387858905.970689.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387858918.721649.jpg

So if i chase her she will have them still or just abort all together?

She still doesn't look like she's on the brink of going into labor. She's a nice sized guppy, i can imagine her potential to bare a nice sized batch of fry is most likely. Her stomach will square off like a big box before she starts birthing, and it doesn't look like that to me right now.

Female Guppy

My guppy has been showing her usual signs of going into labor. She will lay under my java moss and act like she is in labor. Any other time she would of had them already! Can anyone explain to me what her problem may be?

Hello big...

Female livebearers, like your Guppy can hold their fry until they feel conditions are right. The conditions will likely have something to do the with the water chemistry. I would perform a water change and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. Another thing you can do is get some floating plants into the tank. Common water weed, Hornwort and Pennywort all make good hiding places for the female and the fry. The flush of new, warm water will encourage the female to drop her fry, if she's close to that time.

B

Back
Top Bottom