Guppy babies and I'm outta town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyssasmile

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Heeelp! :ermm:

My guppy had babies about an hour ago. I have them in a separate (tiny) tank right now, but I'm leaving town in the morning and don't know what to do.

One, I don't want them to starve. I don't really have anybody to come in and feed them, especially not as often as baby guppies need.

Two, I don't even have an extra heated for them if I keep them in a separate tank from their parents.

Three, I don't want them to get eaten in their parent's tank, so I don't really know where to put them.

I know this is pretty irresponsible, but I took them off my sister-in-law last week without realising they were pregnant until later. They're mainly just there to cycle my tank. But now I really don't want these babys to die..

The only thing I can think of is putting them in a one gallon bucket with one of those feeding blocks? But I worry about water quality while they're so fragile. They were literally born two hours ago.

I could probably attach the tank they're in right now to the tank and float it in there and try to get some fresh water cycling in it, but that doesn't really help the whole feeding problem.

Any suggestions guys? :confused:

EDIT: It's Thursday night right now. I'm leaving tomorrow around noon, and won't be home until Wednesday.. I'm coming into town once on Saturday, but only for a few minutes.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have moved them. You should have let it be survival of the fittest for your fish....may sound harsh but two things, your going away for a week the babies would provide food for the adults and two they breed like crazy so you can prepare yourself for the next batch. They really need a heater

Back
Top Bottom